No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allan scott  (Read 1290 times)

Offline christinewalling!2364

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • western isles
Allan scott
« on: October 09, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »
Hi, as you maybe know I am relative novice, am looking at buying an Allan scott, one off beautiful flowers weight, having bought one before, a little wary as I don’t know enough to ascertain if weight is real, though assuming is the case as looks to be on website of credible collector, and member of lots of paperweight societies, and author etc, obviously I won’t mention the name. However this weight has an   A can pink / blue and has etched on base says exp weight name and Allan Scott signature, not sure what the Exp means? Any info or help I would be grateful for?????

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

• Members
    • western isles
Re: Allan scott
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
Just worked out that the marking on the back is actually Ed 1 of 1,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 05:58:03 PM »
From the Ed 1 of 1 mark, you are looking at a one off. I see you have mentioned that but it is actually described as such on the weight itself.. :)

It is likely to be something in the category of the stunning weights I showed you before which were in the Scottish Glass Society Exhibition, 2005. (named Neptune, Tropical Rainforest and Amethyst Blue).
One-off weights are worth more than one from a series or even a limited Edn.
They are a lot of work, and to only make one is not maximising income from all that goes into making it.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 07:04:23 PM »
Many thanks for info, I have since spoken to the seller and he confirmed is a one off that he actually acquired from Allan Scott himself, it is a 2017 wild orchids one and I did succumb and have purchased it, so not one from those mentioned earlier, I had been little confused as saw a pic of same or like it except colour slightly different on Pinterest then I clicked on the from link and it led to barnetbys.com, an auction site or looked like, not really understanding this, however the seller who I ascertain is genuine, I feel awful now questioning that,  advises definitely only this one of the weight, though there could have been another made slightly different perhaps, your input is well welcome !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
 :) All one-offs will be different. Don't worry about querying. They do cost a lot and as you have made clear, you are new to this. We were all new to it at one time, we know how much there is to learn and how confusing it can be.  ::)
Allan, I am sure, would not mind in the slightest that you want to check it really is his work and would be pleased to find another fan.  ;D  Neither would any reputable seller mind.  8)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 09:35:32 PM »
Many thanks and at the end of the day, I am just so pleased to own such lovely workmanship, allans work is really beautiful, such skill, hope if yo7 are around Allan yo7 have read this, thanks to all.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 01:38:36 PM »
 :) You clearly have a very good eye and good taste. You've chosen work by one of the very top makers around, right from the start.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand