No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anglo Irish cut glass ??  (Read 749 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Anglo Irish cut glass ??
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
Hi , this piece is 6.5” high with a lot of wear on the foot and leaded.I’m never sure on dating this type of cut glass and need to pick up book on at some point , anyone have an idea ?, I’m guessing first half of the 19th century , thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Anglo Irish cut glass ??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
oddly, of all the separate cut features on this one, it's those small vertically cut ovals - each with three criss-cross mitres - that seem not to appear on other Anglo-Irish bowls that I can find.   All the other cutting  -  the fan-scalloped rim, strawberry diamonds, the diagonal mitres, plus the cushion/ball knop and the foot with radial cutting  -  can be seen on cut material from late C18 to c. 1830  -  though must admit I'd like to have seen some decent relief diamonds.                 There are engraved and cut motifs such as the vesica and the leaf frond which are known to have a particular Irish provenance, though I bet they've been copied at times - but they're not on this one.                     
This bowl might be Anglo-Irish, it might not, regret I don't collect the stuff, just look at pix in the books ;)              If you don't already have Phelps Warren's book 'Irish Glass' (it must be the 1981 second edition - revised and expanded - not the first edition from 1972)  -  then you should get a copy  -  it will help  ...........   I rather like part of the opening sentence from the Foreword that sums up how quick we are in deciding on a preferred attribution        "............  and more 'Waterford glass' has been sold than was ever produced, during the active lifetime of the Waterford factory, by all the glasshouses of the island combined."  ;D

Whatever, it's an attractive bowl, and am sure I would have been tempted.            Sorry this doesn't really get you any further forward  -  hopefully others might have something more positive to add.       

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Anglo Irish cut glass ??
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 06:35:06 PM »
Thanks for the input Paul, I’ll get that book and try to get a feel for this type of cut glass, something I’ve been meaning to do !

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand