No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh Fruiting Vine Pattern Glass  (Read 1062 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Walsh Fruiting Vine Pattern Glass
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »
I think this is a sherry/port glass in Walsh's Fruiting Vine pattern, amber uranium glass. At 6" tall it appears to be a smaller version of the A4197 wine glass shown in f.260 of the pattern book in Eric Reynolds book. There is also a photo pl.16 P.45. It has the "Walsh" mark indicating a date from 1926-30 although I do wonder whether they used this mark before it was actually registered in 1926.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh Fruiting Vine Pattern Glass
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
would agree, and a very nice glass too.    I could murder for a decanter in this pattern/colour, plus a set of six glasses.         What gives rise to your thoughts about a possible earlier use of this mark? :)            Sorry, I couldn't find the f. No.  any idea of the page please.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Thanks Paul, the photos don't quite do it justice, it's even nicer in the flesh. Reynolds says Walsh started making fruiting vine in the late 1910's and I thought my glass and the mark might be from that time, however they did make the pattern for quite a while. Sorry I should have put fig.260 which is on P.101, left hand page.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
thanks  -  I'd have thought unlikely that Reynolds was wrong in his comments regarding the commencement dates of the back stamps, though as with all such factory marks there is the possibility of a leeway of a year or two, but not back to c. 1910.    Looks like fruiting vine was popular and had quite a long life span, like some other of their patterns.      Walsh was a high end production and it's a shame we can't find the stuff as commonly as we see T/Webb, Edinburgh, or Stuart.           Agree with you re the similarity of A4197 to fruiting vine, but there appears not to be a pattern name in the pattern book for that particular glass - unless I've missed it  -  as it is I had to use a lens to see the wording - am I reading the word butterfly?, and some of the wording is impossible to decipher, but there's no doubting the almost identical appearance.        Fruiting vine is more attractive I think than Kenilworth, of which I have two or three, and which appears more staid and less arty.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
Yes Paul I thought it might be "butterfly blue", apparently blue was the most popular colour. I can't see a pattern name either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand