No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: George Sherwood Sugar Bowl.  (Read 872 times)

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
George Sherwood Sugar Bowl.
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:31:59 PM »
Another find today, this 13cm.x13cm. sugar bowl has a lovely, big, clear lozenge which dates it to 15/2(G)/1850(V) with a parcel number 8. This is RDNo.67467 registered to George Sherwood, Ecclestone Flint Glass Works, St. Helens. Lancs. I haven't found any information about them yet.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: George Sherwood Sugar Bowl.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
It appears you've chosen the wrong one of two Reg. Nos. (from the same day) ;D     Not sure which author you've used to get info on this design and it's an irritating coincidence that on the 15th of February 1850 Sherwood Registered two designs under Parcel 8, as can be seen in Thompson and Slack, though neither author specifies to what design each refers.      Thompson shows a reproduction of the Register page  -  which does often give a few words of text as to what an item is  -  but on this occasion we're denied even that, as can be seen in the lady's book.             

In TNA pix I have from Kew, Rd. 67467 is a milk/cream jug (good illustration of a pre c. 1860 top down handle), and 67468 is your unlidded sugar  -  in fact there appears to have been a little license taken in the eventual design of the basin.         The original factory drawing shows a substantial sized knop immediately under the bowl  -  it would be useful if you're able to add another photo, straight on, to see this feature - assuming it's there.                   Just one of those quirky and unfortunate situations that without access to the original factory drawings we'd be clueless which Rd. No. belonged to which design  -  when there are multiple designs within one date and one parcel No., then the lozenge system fails us, especially with obscure small houses like Sherwood.           This doesn't happen with post lozenge Nos. where each design is allocated a separate Rd. No.

Later today I'll add Kew pix of both of Sherwood's Registrations for these items  -  unfortunately, I'm unable to add anything as to the history of George Sherwood. 

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
Thanks Paul, great-glass actually have the numbers 67467 -8, I picked the wrong one. Here's a side-on photo.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 01:20:29 PM »
thanks, and we do have the knop then.         Attached are images of the original factory drawings for both Reg. Nos., and as always thanks to the Trustees and researches at TNA Kew for their help and permission to use these Board of Trade pix.             It's worth getting either Slack or Thompson if only for their lists of the Victorian lozenge and post lozenge Reg. Nos.     As usual, dimensions are absent.          A very good find by the way.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
I have an example of the creamer

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »
thanks Neil - that is a real cracker, and assume a mould made piece with the top down handle applied separately?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand