No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise Sowerby Vase, pattern 1181  (Read 979 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Turquoise Sowerby Vase, pattern 1181
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:02:34 AM »
Other than the images of the amber vases in the glass gallery, I haven't seen this one before, so I thought I'd share it here.
I don't know if it's in any printed material (other than the catalogue), as I've not had a chance to look yet.

Matches pattern 1181 in the 1882 pattern book, and has the peacock mark to base.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Turquoise Sowerby Vase, pattern 1181
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 11:56:22 AM »
can't see this in any of the obvious books, though both Murray and Cottle show it as a b. & w. line drawing as an extract from the factory catalogue - and assume Vitro-Porcelain.           I've had a look at the National Archive Registration pix for Sowerby all around that pattern No. but haven't seen it yet.

Very nice find, and is it likely scarce do you think  -  how tall is it Lindsey?                  By the way  -  hadn't parted with my signed copy of Mark Hill's 'Hi Sklo Lo Sklo'  -  found it the other day, so relieved.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Excellent news about the book!

Can't believe I forgot measurements, I'm usually quite good at that!

2 3/8" tall (61mm)
a little over 2" diameter at the neck (53mm)
1 1/4" across the base (35mm)
Approx 2 1/4" at it's widest point (68mm)

As to scarcity - I've looked at thousands of images of Sowerby whilst constructing my Pinterest boards and this is the first time I've seen it.  So occurrences of it online are rare, but whether it is in real life, I don't know.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
so a real dinky piece  -  I had it down as six inches tall at least.      It does sound to be a rare piece - I don't recall seeing it before either but then I'm not a Sowerby afficionado like you ;)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
I have only ever seen one example of this pattern number before (and in an unusual transparent colour to boot) - see attached photos.

Catalogue illustration also attached for reference.

I have no evidence that the design this pattern was ever registered (hence no registry date lozenge) , but registered designs for other patterns in this  number sequence date from late 1876.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »
thanks for the additional information Fred  -  I agree that almost certainly never Registered officially.      A surprising and deceptively small item.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Thank you Fred.  It's really great seeing all the information we have together in one place.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »
 Very similar to Rd 314276 1877 checkout the gallery, same shape but different pattern so it could be from that era?
Cheers Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand