No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: So, I have a Sowerby thing...  (Read 899 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
So, I have a Sowerby thing...
« on: October 16, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
...and it looks like the sort of thing that would be used as a toothbrush holder, or a vase that's contained inside another pot.  The last possibility is, I presume, what it has been used for as it has blushing and deposits inside. The lip on it would make it awkward to drink from, so I'm sure its not a tumbler (as was stated).

The "vase"? is not very large 3 1/2" tall, 3/8" wide lip, 3 1/4" diameter at the top and 1 5/8" across the base.

Aesthetically it has nothing going for it at all.  I'm just curious (as always) as I've not come across, what is essentially, a liner with a Sowerby mark before and I could find nothing through the boards search feature. Nor, anything in the pattern books that look a a multi-part object with this shaped piece.  So, does anybody have any ideas? (other than chucking it ;))

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: So, I have a Sowerby thing...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 12:13:35 PM »
Think I just accidentally answered my own question. 

In the 1885 catalogue, there is a pattern #1692 under Custards & Jellies, available in two sizes - although it doesn't say what the sizes are.  It looks a likely contender.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
I'm surprised that something as plain and utility as this shape should have been described, by the factory, as a jelly or custard, though agree that's what it says in the catalogue.      I've never seen a C19 jelly or custard as plain and simple  -  and at this period Sowerby were making traditionally shaped custards and jellies, which are more decorative and shaped, and shown in the same catalogue.
Quite why the lip I'm unsure, and agree very boring design wise, though it is about the right size for a jelly or custard  ...............  I should bin it if I were you or use it for your toothbrush ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »
It looks exactly like the sort of inkwell I had in my school desk. (showing my age)
But it is a bit bigger. I think my inkwell was just over an inch tall.
I don't know how big the well would have been in my teacher's desk.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »
It was probably a mould for custard or jelly rather than a serving dish. One portion would just plop out nicely

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
That's a really good point Christine. 

It is very similar in size/shape to the moulds I'd use for my madeleines (English not French).  It's a perfect size for an individual portion.

:D Happy now - it might not be used for my toothbrush after all.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand