No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Probably Thomas Webb 'Honeycomb' pattern.  (Read 980 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Probably Thomas Webb 'Honeycomb' pattern.
« on: October 21, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
I'm fairly certain this is T.W., but of course do put me right if I'm obviously wrong.            This appears to be their fairly common pale green uranium - a rather uncentred but nicely polished pontil depression, and a few noticeable black seeds  -  c. 6.25 inches tall in what might be a bucket shaped vase, and with a good glow.                 These T/Webb optically moulded patterns are the devil to photograph to provide a clear image for the screen  -  I hope the pattern can be seen  -  checking with Hajdamach it does appear to match honeycomb, but I stand to be corrected.          Hajdamach quotes honeycomb as originating c. 1886.

In view of the wear and seeds, this one might have a reasonable amount of age  -  first quarter of the C20 perhaps?        The pattern looks to suffer from stretching as your eyes climb the side of the vase, which rather belies the b. & w. factory drawing which shows each cell as being of identical size.      Each cell appears with an approximately pointed top and rounded bottom.      All comments welcome and thanks for looking. 

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Probably Thomas Webb 'Honeycomb' pattern.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
A nice vase Paul, and I think probably Webb. As you say though, the honeycomb cells appear to be larger than the diagram shows, elongated and not as straight sided. It may be just the way it was made. I can't find a photo of another one to compare it.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »
The diagrams show the mould designs, not what happens after blowing into shape

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »
thanks Nev

Christine  -  point taken  -  and do you think I'm on the right track with the T.W. suggestion?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »
Possibly, it does look like Spring Green

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
many thanks.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
I found this on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174987953754?hash=item28be18465a:g:5B8AAOSwb0phcb10

It has much better definition and you can see the honeycomb pattern at the bottom of the glass and where it is stretched further up. I assume it should read "Richardson or Webb". I can't see a mark.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
thanks for that, well done, and agree, possibly did mean to say R. or T/W, and in view of the take over of R. by T/W in the early 1930s, it gets a tad confusing as to who made what and when, though apparently R. maintained Webb factory space and were allowed to continue using their Union flag back stamp.         Is it me, or is there an absence of a pontil depression under the linked piece?        Compared to my vase, certainly the pattern appears very similar and the height is identical, though I'm not entirely convinced about the uranium  -  does the glow look a tad dull?  - where is Christine? ;)                Not sure where the 1935 comes from.               thanks again, and if you like you can have mine for the same price ;) ;) 

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »
No you're alright Paul, I'll wait until I find one a bit cheaper  ;D. I think the linked one probably has a pontil mark but it's disguised by the pattern you can see through it. The glow looks ok too, I've got one of those torches and it's not very good, the 21 LED ones are much better, also there may be a secondary colourant in the glass which masks it. I forgot about the Richardson/Webb connection so they did mean "for"

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »
sorry, unsure really what the ebay seller meant - like you I was speculating as to meaning.     I assume the colour has made it easier to photograph this blueish example.     I could be way off, but had the rather uneducated feeling that Richardson made glass of a slightly higher quality than T.W.       IMHO I think we're going to have to live with an unspecified date of manufacture, though likely somewhere in the first 25 - 35 years of the C20.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand