No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Markings or NOT??  (Read 1320 times)

Offline christinewalling!2364

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • western isles
Caithness Markings or NOT??
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
Hi all

Recently there was a posting about Caithness weights - which seemed to conclusively say that all Caithness weights would be either etched with name on base etc - or market etched as CG11 - meaning seconds.

However the very first weights in my collection purchased many ago - the first from the Caithness Centre itself probably in 2008 or 2009 was a gold star weight - at the time I bought from a cabinet which did say seconds or some such phrase over the cabinet - however there are no markings at all on it

The second and third weights I purchased from Crieff Centre after Caithness centre had closed - and we ( my husband and I) cant quite remember the phrase used - but the shelves did have heading - whether they were discontinued lines or seconds we dont know????? My collection remained with these three for years until this last 2 years when I have avidly began  looking into paperweights and collecting some very nice ones as you may have seen from posts.

Can anyone comment or enlighten as to why my three weights dont conform to the general consensus discussions and why they are not marked - they did not any of them have labels on the base either.
I have posted 3photos with this post and three following post

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

• Members
    • western isles
Caithness Markings or NOT?? no 2
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:35:19 AM »
As described in last post - just the 3 photos more

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness Markings or NOT?? no 2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »
 ;D Ooh Christine, we're in a right muddle here. Don't worry about it at all, it will get sorted. :)

Please, give each single piece of glass its own thread. That way we know what we're talking about. It can get confusing if more than one piece is illustrated.

Please, use a plain background for your photos. It makes it much easier to try to work out what we are looking at. You know what it looks like before you point the camera - we don't. You really need to try to show the item as clearly as possible. Glass is three dimensional, photos are only 2.

You have started a new thread for your other photos (using a button at the top) rather than replying to yourself (using the reply button under your last post).
I'll ask a moderator to help sort it out for you. :)

In answer to your query about marks, in more recent years they've been mostly done away with in favour of sticky labels, which are much cheaper. Marking glass is a skill that requires time and labour, it is probably reserved for Ltd Edn and one-offs now.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

• Members
    • western isles
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
Oh dear, apologies for photos. I had reduced the dimensions to try and get file size down for the forum, and adjusted the quality down also for this purpose, from looking at other photos on the forum it would seem that I sized down too much, had used a sheet of white paper as background but hadn’t realised how much the reflections had come through, I will try and do better next time,

Thank u for your response, perhaps when I bought them,  looking back first was probably, 2001 maybe other two 2009 ish, they weren’t using the labels or marking as you say. Much appreciating you all looking at the queries and responding

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
We're here to help. I have troubles with all sort of things and there's always been somebody to help me, over the years.  ::)
I'm rather fond of the Caithness Visitor Centre in Crieff myself - but if you are there, you need to visit the Strathearn Gallery. They are absolutely great at glass and have always supported glass artists.

I'm afraid I thought I was looking at your cooker through the first pic there. ;D
Reflections do photobomb you. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Caithness Markings or NOT??
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
I suspect in more recent years that seconds and experiments sold from the shop are marked much less frequently (it's extra work, and time is money), if at all. And early Caithness only had labels.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Caithness Markings or NOT??
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
Given that post topics are queries about possible Caithness weights I've merged them together, so we don't have two topics discussing the same subject and folks getting muddled. If the OP Christine would like to post each weight as a separate topic that'd be fine.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand