No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: wavy-rimmed - either Stuart or S. & W. - clear bowl.  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
wavy-rimmed - either Stuart or S. & W. - clear bowl.
« on: October 25, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
Something I'd seen earlier last week but had originally decided against buying.                    After all the exchange of opinions regarding this design, I'm now more confused than ever.                     I thought a conclusion had been reached and maker was believed to be S. & W. and not Stuart, but despite once being indecisive now I'm really not sure  -  but put me right if there is a feeling one way or the other.             The design shouts art nouveau rather than something from the 1930s, but will leave others to comment.            Height is approx. 4.5" and maximum width across the rim is 7.75", with quality ground/polished pontil depression, and the number of rim tips appears constant, with other similar pieces, at eight, though the dips between points does look to vary in depth.
Cost was £2.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: wavy-rimmed - either Stuart or S. & W. - clear bowl.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56:05 PM »
Cross-reference to information on the green version in this thread from this post onwards various information:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,71254.msg396713.html#msg396713

One more observation from me (I've always thought the green version of this was S&W until Christine raised that she has always thought of that green as being Stuart in the linked thread above) - that pontil mark doesn't look large enough to be what I think of as a Stevens and Williams pontil mark  :-X
So another tick in the possible Stuart box perhaps?

Very envious of your £2 find given I've just paid a lot of money for two 19th century pieces having been very frugal for quite a long time. Neither of which were ever likely to turn up here for £2 but still ...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »
thanks for adding the link  -  I should have pre-empted you on that since hopefully it will help future researchers should we need to refer to the subject again.            Reference to the size of the pontil mark may well be a valid comment - I'd suggest we need more examples from which to make a better informed judgment.   

As to paying big bucks for pieces - have to say I too have been there - done the antiques fairs and shops etc., but now restrict myself to the the cheap end of the market, and try to simply enjoy the walking to charity shops and bric-a-brac outlets, and the occasional piece with a crack or blemish.             Occasionally, as with this lump, I can strike lucky, though might have fluffed it had I not remembered and gone back fairly quickly.       

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »

As to paying big bucks for pieces - have to say I too have been there - done the antiques fairs and shops etc., but now restrict myself to the the cheap end of the market, and try to simply enjoy the walking to charity shops and bric-a-brac outlets, and the occasional piece with a crack or blemish.             Occasionally, as with this lump, I can strike lucky, though might have fluffed it had I not remembered and gone back fairly quickly.       

Aah me too.  I haven't bought much at all in the last couple of years but keep an eye out for those pieces I would like to research i.e. mostly Bohemian glass, occasionally French glass, up to 1850/55, and usually rare.  One item has just arrived.  A very complicated piece, all intact, absolutely no damage, 170 years old.  I'm frankly completely amazed and thrilled.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand