No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: S. & W. 'rose/alabaster  (Read 930 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
S. & W. 'rose/alabaster
« on: October 27, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
not see an example of rose-alabaster for a year or so, and they are so obvious when we do see them.      For small grapefruit perhaps. ;)   Three inches tall, and typically with the large but shallow  polished pontil depression and the odd white speck.             Meant to ask  -  does anyone have a good idea as to the date range for this colourway please?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: S. & W. 'rose/alabaster
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:14:54 PM »
It is the most stunning of their alabaster colours and I think that's because it's made with gold ruby.  It's truly beautiful.

As far as I remember CH said the alabaster range was produced from 1916.
And I recall the green was produced into the 1930s.

In CH British Glass CH says on page 108 that the pink 'is the firm's 'rose-du-barry' while the white was their 'eau-de-nil'' when referring to a pink alabaster lidded vase in the group.

However in the Crystal Years, Williams-Thomas  the pink is referred to as Rose (page 24).

And on the same page 24 Williams-Thomas says 'During the 1914 alabaster period, several colours - ....cinammon, rose ...- were all made.' indicating that it could have been produced from 1914.

My personal thoughts are that CH is probably right on the dating i.e. from 1916 but that the colour isn't their Rose-du-Barry as that seems to have been a shaded 'Burmese' type colour effect according to the Crystal Years book description of the colour.

Christine has given more detailed information on this pink colour already here in a previous thread:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46591.msg263133.html#msg263133

The rose is made with gold ruby.

Date wise - The Crystal Years page 26 has a badly written sentence that could indicate the pink alabaster  was made up to 1938.  On the other hand the sentence might indicate that only the jade green alabaster was made up to 1938.  It's confusingly written.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: S. & W. 'rose/alabaster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:29:21 AM »
sincere thanks m for your essay  -  much appreciated, and reading back through your link it's apparent that I was involved in some of that wordy thread.              I think that what prompted my question is best summed up in your final couple of sentences - thanks also to Christine for her input in that discussion - very helpful.    These colours are very attractive, and I love to hold a piece like this that's probably been around since the inter war years - and survived without damage - until now.
I have owned pieces of this decor from S. & W. before, though they all went, and this is the first I've seen in recent times  -  quite what this particular shape would have been made for I've no idea.
thanks again. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand