No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson bowl, pattern ID - ID = pattern number 147, 1880s  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Embroidered

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Davidson bowl, pattern ID - ID = pattern number 147, 1880s
« on: October 31, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
Hello everyone!  I recently purchased this bowl on UK eBay and I was wondering if anyone recognises the pattern.  I'm pretty sure it's Davidson, it has the lion mark on the base, but I can't seem to find a match for the pattern anywhere I've looked online.  I'm guessing it's a sugar bowl by the shape and size, 6" across and just a shade under 5" high.  Thanks for your help!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Davidson bowl, pattern ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
I'm finding it difficult to see a Davidson lion, could it be a Greener one? Have you had a look and a feel all around to see if there are any other marks?
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Embroidered

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
No other marks that I can see.  The lion looks identical to a known Davidson piece that I have, though the stamp isn't as distinct on this one. 

I bought this for the pretty design, but in spite of the lion mark I was wondering if it is indeed Davidson! 

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:21:29 PM »
I can just make it out now and I don't see a problem with it being Davidson. The pattern appears to be gooseberries which might help in your searches.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
This is pattern number 147 shown in Davidsons 1880s catalogues, there is a matching creamer.

Offline Embroidered

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Davidson bowl, pattern ID - ID = pattern number 147, 1880s
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »
Thank you!  I've found it now.  Such a nice pattern!  The gooseberries are really detailed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand