No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Candle Holder 114044 - Representation?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Sowerby Candle Holder 114044 - Representation?
« on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:34 AM »
So, the V&A have a Sowerby candle holder in their collections which can be viewed online here -
https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O5044/candle-holder-sowerby-ellison-glassworks/

Registration dated for 17th November 1888, which I think will make it RD No 114044.

I’m sure they’ve photographed it upside down because that does not look like a safe design for a candle holder.  The toothed edge almost looks like it could have been to hold a cover (if it were the other way up).

So, has anybody (Paul?  ;D) looked up the design representation for this one before?

Paul, for the record this is a really large candleholder, at least 12” wide  ;)

Thanks,
Lindsey

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Sowerby Candle Holder 114044 - Representation?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
I see candlesticks displayed upside down regularly along with necklace and ring trees from time to time but the biggest culprits are Mats Jonasson type animals, the blocks are more often than not offered for sale the wrong way around.

Rant over, please ignore!

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »
Can you click on the suggested feedback button and send a message to them?

I've no idea if it's the wrong way up though.  I think it looks like a two part item and to me the base looks fine but the middle looks the wrong way up  :-X

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
I agree, the museum picture must surely show the holder inverted  -  this way up there doesn't appear to be any recess in which to stick the candle, judging by what I can see.

As a matter of course, I don't have pix of Registrations post the lozenge period - though I have a few, but regrettably not this one so unable to help presently Lindsey with 114044.     I need to visit Kew for a variety of Registration information, but life is conspiring against me at the moment, but I will get there soon and will check on this one for you. 

If you have Sheilagh Murray's 'The Peacock And The Lions' - p. 42 - there are three 'candle ornaments' shown - a shape and design that perhaps we might call drip trays.         All three are shown with some sort of design ornamentation around the perimeter 'that sticks up'.             Murray's ornaments are in a style similar to the V.&A. - except that the museum has the ornamentation pointing downward - so seems little doubt that Murray is correct and the taxpayer funded museum are wrong.

Didn't expect you to find a large piece of Sowerby so quickly  -  is there some outside chance you have used the wrong ruler? ;) ;D           

I often see those Bagley and Davison black circular plinths - for bowls and other flower containers - in charity shops placed upside down - perhaps they imagine they're ashtrays or bowls of some sort. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »
yes and that's annoying because then they scratch the upper surface  >:(

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 09:27:48 PM »
I think my funniest upside charity shop find was a trinket set where the candle holders were upside down and had the powder bowl lids on them.  The powder bowl bases were displayed with one upended on the other. It was quite impressive they were able to get it to fit and balance really.

Can you click on the suggested feedback button and send a message to them?
I could, but they haven't replied to any of the other times I've used the function on other items. At this point I'm not sure if they're busy or they've blocked me  ;)

I agree the edging does look like that in the 1885 pattern book (as shown in Peacock & Lions), the V&A image seems to have a handle on the back right hand side, which doesn't show in the Sowerby images though.

The benefit of collecting small Sowerby pieces is that I can fit more in my cabinets. ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 10:10:23 PM »
sorry to hear you've been black-balled by the museum  -  you can of course buy big cabinets. ;D         Will give a nod when I'm able to visit Kew. 

I said to a couple of the ladies in one of my regular drop-ins the other day  "what is the main constituent of glass?"  -  and they honestly didn't know  -  rather sad I suppose.    But the up-side is that whilst they remain in ignorant bliss of such matters I will stand a chance of getting the gems for small beer. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand