No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival Vickers No13 Piano Foot  (Read 1593 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Percival Vickers No13 Piano Foot
« on: November 06, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
I think this is a PV No.13 foot although I think other manufacturers made a similar one. It's quite a big one, 3 3/4 x 2" and weighs 1lb. 5oz.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Percival Vickers No13 Piano Foot
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »
I have two very similar ones. The green one is less bulky than the yellow one though they are very similar in shape and size. The green one has chamfers on the edges of the teeth at the top and a distinct rim to the well. The colour suggest PV to me http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1258
The yellow one is much smoother but has a rim around the bottom edges. I think this is a Sowerby 2049 http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=819

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 04:34:27 PM »
Hi  -  assume attached link shows pattern sheet which is the origin of the No. 13 suggestion.     https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64228.msg359903.html#msg359903
Hope of interest and thanks of course to Neil for adding the factory pattern sheet to the Board.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 06:12:00 PM »
Christine, your an my yellow ones appear to be the same pattern and appear to match the PV No.13. From the best catalogue image I've found the sides of the Sowerby 2049 seem to be made up of arched mouldings. Thanks Paul, I found Neil's page while researching the piano foot in my previous post which I thought was M & W but is actually PV No. 2. and also found the No.13.
The Sowerby 2049 is on here, 1885 catalogue, P.25.

http://www.victorianpressedglass.com/pattern_books.htm

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »
Christine, having now looked at the side on view of yours I don't think it's the same as mine but I'm not sure if it's Sowerby either.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
This has a better view of the Sowerby 2049 https://heartofglass.uk/2021/03/26/piano-insulators/
but I'm not convinced the mouldings are arched. I think its just a perspective effect. The bright yellow would be right for Sowerby.

Has yours got distinct edges to the teeth at the top or are they smoothly rounded?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 09:06:06 PM »
The top edges on mine have a narrow smoothed bevel. To confuse matters mine is very similar to the one further down the link you gave, No.2265 by Gebruder von Streit.  ???  It's difficult to work out the design from the Sowerby 2049 diagram.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 03:42:25 PM »
Yours sounds like my green one. The No.2265 by Gebruder von Streit doesn't have bevelled edges according to the image

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
I think your green one and mine are both PV N0.13. The No.3 appears to have much narrower vertical side columns, a rounded edge to the top and a domed base underneath, mine has more of a pyramidal base like the No.15.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 06:15:40 PM »
I think yours could be the PV one, these cogwheels are found in several catalogues of that era and difficult to attribute, the one on the left is Sowerby 500grams with rounded top, the middle ones are similar to yours but vary in weight the Vaseline and blue ones are 600 grams, the green a whopping 700 grams all good clear quality. The smaller ones on the right are 400 grams and the glass a poorer quality.
Cheers Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand