No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Regency? Port/Sherry Glasses.  (Read 822 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Regency? Port/Sherry Glasses.
« on: November 12, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »
I can't work out if these are Regency or later copies. Firstly their density is 2.5gms/cc. so not lead crystal. They are 12cms. tall and the feet are wider than the bowls and different sizes, 6mm./5.5mm. and 5.8mm./5.2mm. Both have striations on the bowls and feet, small tool marks on the rims and ground pontils. The double knop stems are similar to ones shown on P.47 of Hajdamach, in the Webb Richardson catalogue. It may not show in the photo but they have the most intense Manganese green glow I've seen.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Regency? Port/Sherry Glasses.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »
appreciate the depressions are wide, but I'd have thought these would have been lead glass from that period, but agree they are a very good match for the Webb Richardson pattern you mention.    Really no idea, but if these were first quarter C19 would imagine they should have considerable wear.               Sorry this is unhelpful. 

Looks like this was where Thomas Webb sourced their 'Yacht' design  ;)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Regency? Port/Sherry Glasses.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »
Thanks Paul, there is quite a bit of wear but it's just a very fine ring round the edge of the feet so I think they've got a bit of age. After a bit of checking I think they are probably 1860-1900 at the latest.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand