No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: W etch mark  (Read 690 times)

Offline nocross

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass stemware
    • United kingdom
W etch mark
« on: November 18, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »
Has anyone any idea who may have made this Champagne Flute. Swirl design with gilt/gold knot between stem and bowl. Marked with an italic W which I can find nothing on the Internet about

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: W etch mark
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »
sorry, not a clue I'm afraid - looks attractive.        I think you'll find that most folk here would call your 'gilt/gold knot, a knop.          fwiw I'd suggest the upper case W may possibly have been the initial of the original owner of this piece, rather than a maker, which is what you might have been thinking.            I agree, this may be a champers flute, but I suppose always an outside chance it's a stem vase of sorts.           It won't help remotely with an id, but out of interest you might care to let us know the height please.              Gilt/gold flecking, or similar, has been used by some of the Gulf of Venice house in recent years  -  not suggesting it is but gold applied like this is know from the generic Murano makers  -  is the gold on the inside of the glass, or the outside?
Again, just out of interest, is the W etched (acid application), or might it be scratched on?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nocross

• Members
    • glass stemware
    • United kingdom
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »
Thank you for your reply Paul.
I was thinking that they may be Muranoesque as quite similar to other glasses I have owned. I was hoping to attribute them to a glass house to satisfy my curiosity.
The glass is a very fine Crystal.
The gilt is within the knop as opposed to being painted on and looks like gold flecks.
The glass is 8 3/4 inches in height and the rim is 2 1/4 inches.
The W is acid etched or engraved rather than scratched in freehand.
I was of the assumption they were Flutes as I have 8 in total , the W being the same on all however the gold knop varies in they way the flecking looks in the glass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
thanks - well, if you have eight then you're no doubt correct about their use, but think I'm still going to stay with my thoughts that the W could be an owners monogram letter, but I stand to be corrected of course.
The Gulf of Venice material not really my scene, but would imagine gold within the glass suggests possibly a higher quality than gilding painted or stuck to the outside.
If the letter is engraved then my thoughts would be that it should feel cut deeper into the glass, whereas an acid back stamps/letters are likely to appear more shallow.

Unfortunately, the world is knee-deep in glass that remains permanently without attribution or provenance - you may end up lucky and someone might recognize your flutes, but be prepared for these to remain anonymous. :)            They're attractive, and their writhen optic moulding lifts them out of the ordinary.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nocross

• Members
    • glass stemware
    • United kingdom
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »
After trawling the Internet I may have come up with the identity of the glasses. They look like "Persepolis Murano" by Serguso Gianni however the etch mark is not the same so may be another glass blower from the same Glass House.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand