No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greener dish with Rd 81160 & 94543  (Read 759 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Greener dish with Rd 81160 & 94543
« on: November 24, 2021, 07:01:12 AM »
So, it's rather badly damaged, but for 50p I felt it was worth it to log the registration numbers.  ;D

The dish has two registrations internally 81160 for 15th September 1887 and 94543 for 25th February 1888, but no trademark.

There are a few examples of 81160 in the Glass Gallery, which correspond with the pattern around the edge of the dish, and the example in Jenny Thompsons book.

However, 94543 has no examples in the Glass Gallery and no description in JTs book. So, I'm thinking it's possibly the pattern used on the base ??? particularly as Greener produced other items with multiple numbers for different patterns.

I can try and get better photos later on when I can get to my table.

edited to say, measures 17.5cm x 13cm x 5cm

Lindsey

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Greener dish with Rd 81160 & 94543
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »
Sorry to say I appear not to have any Kew pix of either Registration, though I have one of my own of 81160  -  mainly because both are post 1884, though I do have a few of my own images of a few Greener items around this date.    Agree with you that Reg. 81160 looks definitely to be for the surface decoration of fan splits with something in between resembling either hobnails or something akin to large relief diamonds - but whatever, it's an attempt at copying the appearance of cut glass.                 
Have attached picture of a two handled piece which carried 81160 which I found some years back - could be gravy boat cream or milk something or another  -  it went out years ago, but am assuming it carried only the number 81160.     The factory system of allocating Rd. Nos. seems possibly to have been somewhat hit and miss  -  some pieces carried two Nos. others only one, and not easy to fathom the exact reason why.            Is it possible that 94543 was for the shape of your dish??

Hope to get to Kew within a couple of weeks and possibly get a little more information for these Nos. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand