No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please to ID 3 Swimming Mermaids Frosted Glass Vase  (Read 565 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help please to ID 3 Swimming Mermaids Frosted Glass Vase
« on: November 28, 2021, 04:07:42 PM »
I thought this vase deserved it's own post to try and confirm an ID as there seems to be little online.

For a starting point a GMB member said he thought it maybe Reich and he may well be right.
The vase has 3 swimming mermaids in different poses.

Height just over 9.25"
Weight 1291gms

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help please to ID 3 Swimming Mermaids Frosted Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 08:14:01 PM »
well, I'm all for mermaids  -  I'd take them home any day, but regret unable to see this design in either the Presglass.pavillon or the musterbuchs in the 1930 Reich catalogues.    Looks to be a rather top heavy vase.       Very appealing piece Roy - I'm envious, but sorry to be unhelpful.             Some of the designs in the Reich output are stunning pre WW II deco pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 05:12:01 AM »
Sorry Paul I have already taken them home.
No not as top-heavy as it may look.
Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
Hi Roy
I've had the same vase albeit with a ripple effect for years it was purchased from France. A dealer friend once had the same vase in a deep blue and a collector in Australia called Dylan has the same vase in amber.
The quality looks very much Reich but havent seen it in the few Reich pages available. The only input I can add is the similarity of the seaweed to a bowl with clamshells on ( very much like Sabinos oursins bowl) and I've seen that clamshells bowl in a thick opalescent glass which we know Reich produced opalescent glass.
I have an opalescent ice men set and have compared that opalescence to the Rose's opalescent dressing table set I once had that Reich produced and it was exactly the same. I've also seen the polar bear set in opalescent and again it reminded me of my ice men set opalescent.
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand