Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Scandinavian Glass

Scandinavian = Tora Pors, i Kalmar

<< < (6/6)

svazzo:
Hi Laura.
I was trakcing it. I'll email you bout it.
Javier

svazzo:
Hi again Everyone!
I have a bit of news, although not much....
I contacted Hans Björkman, who posted the Tora Pos vase on the web (link above - page 2), and actually got a response!!! Thank you Hans!

He told me that he doesn't know much English or about glass, but that he was going to contact (forward my email) to a friend of his that knows more. Apparently this person is an authority on Swedish glass, but Hans doesn't know if he speaks English. :(

Basically if I get a response it will be in Swedish, or he won't know what I wrote to him. It all rests on a translation... I knew I should have taken more language classes at school!!!!
Hopefully he will respond! :D

Javier

svazzo:
The Winner is?????   :!: taylog1 :!:

Excellent news! I was just contacted by Hans' friend and he tells me that the bowl I have is in fact by Tora Pors!

This was the response:
"Your bowl is designed by Tora Pors and made i Kalmar glass factory around 1950.
She was designer for this factory around this year 1947 – 1954. The stile of this glasses was called ”MYRICA”."

I am so happy for all the help, and the interest taken in the post! Thank you for all the messages. Also to the help of taylog1 for finding that 1st photo, and to Hans and Börje who confirmed it! Can't thank them enough for going out of their way to offer their help!

This gives me hope for my other 2 mystery pieces floating around here, lol.  :D 
Thanks!
Javier

aa:
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/4aa/4aa204.htm
http://www.trocadero.com/toobiltd/items/86788/item86788store.html#item

The links show work by Richard Jolley using a similar technique. I used this myself with very different results, in the late eighties and early nineties.

The decoration is done by drawing fine single colour canes which are about 3-4mm diameter. You then use these to “draw” on the surface of the glass by using a propane or oxy-propane torch to melt the tip of the cane onto the surface. You do risk burning yourself! Richard Jolley and William Bernstein in the US became the major masters doing this sort of work.

The tiny bubbles on the piece you’ve been researching could have been the result of a number of reasons:

-the canes may not have been marvered into the surface completely, before casing with clear glass
- similarly there may have been some fine particles of glass powder on the marver.
- alternatively it may be that the coloured canes were actually drawn from clear glass coated with powdered colour rather than drawing them from solid colour rods. One might assume this if there is a noticeable variation of colour running along the length of the cane, but it is one of those things that after the event is very difficult to judge.

I’ve never heard them referred to as sticks. We call them canes, which will probably offend the paperweight devotees,  :) but in fact the technique is similar to lampwork. Some people call them threads as can be seen in the first link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version