No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Derbyshire Lion Rd. 283406 in Uranium  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Derbyshire Lion Rd. 283406 in Uranium
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
Probably J.D's best known pressing, and Registered on 3rd July 1874 - based apparently on one of Landseer's recumbent lions which can be seen in slightly bigger format in Trafalgar Sq., London  -  this one is a little smaller at about 7.1/4 x 5 inches. 

Fully marked with the anchor/JD and a clear lozenge - there are examples in Ray Slack and Jenny Thompson  -  Slack shows a black example and Thompson's pair (courtesy of the V. & A.) look to have been in clear glass - don't think there's one Hajdamach  -  according to Ray Slack they were produced in frosted, clear and coloured glass.             As with one or two other three dimensional pieces from Derbyshire, they were described in the factory's submission to the Board of Trade as paperweights  -  for this one the Register at TNA, Kew, reads ...........   "Lion after Landseer for a paperweight".

Unfortunately, this one has a substantial crack, but since I probably couldn't afford one in v.g. condition, this is likely as near as I'm going to get.   

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Derbyshire Lion Rd. 283406 in Uranium
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
Wow, what a find.  He's majestic.  A beautiful mold.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »
thanks m  -  it was sold to me as a jelly mold, but the annoying thing was that I didn't see the crack until I got home, and it isn't small !!     It cost me a tenner, but suspect that even with the crack it's worth it  -  goodness knows what it might cost in v.g. condition.         I don't know if there is already photo on the Board's pressed glass gallery. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 09:45:28 PM »
Cracked because she'd used it as a jelly mould ?   ;D  Only joking- that's really annoying.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »
in my ecstasy and excitement at finding the thing I couldn't wait to pay and walk away  -  so, blinded by collectors emotion, again.  ;D          Can you imagine that - actually not checking condition!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »
Aah, I found a uranium opalescent B&T swan last week but left it as could feel a chip on the wing.  I've started being very circumspect unless it's something I've never seen before and want it for research.  That said, I've just paid many tens of £ for a Davenport book that has one single chapter on glass ... and millions of chapters on hideous china (personal taste and all that lol).  Probably shouldn't have but I needed to read the info for myself.

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 10:19:39 AM »
For a tenner I would have paid and ran out of the shop as fast as I could ( admittedly nowadays that wouldn't be very fast).
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
Nice  one Paul
I have had a few of these in various colours over the last 20 years. If I had to pick a favourite piece of glass to own they would still be top of my list.
Nice find.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »
thanks Roy  -  I only do charity shops these days so needless to say this is the only one I've found  -  of course if I made a habit of visiting Ardingly or Kempton am sure I'd have seen more.     I'm fortunate and some good bits turn up in my neck of the woods, and I like to enjoy collecting at a slower pace now.     You should tell the folk here about your really lucky find of that paperweight some few years back.
I remember the tale from 'old glassman' about the three pieces of Beilby that turned up at a boot sale one morning  -  bet I never see one of those!!
If you know of a good source of collectible postage stamps do give me a shout. ;D

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
Thanks Paul

This is the only lion I have bought by my daughter in a charity shop in Reigate for £2.00 not uranium and I think maker still unsure.
Yes the paperweight was a good find. But just as good were the 6 Stevens and Williams wine glasses.

I think I will be confined to charity shops at some point in the future due to the Parkinson's .
We had a new charity shop open yesterday with lots of glass and pottery.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand