No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby basket.  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby basket.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 06:52:34 PM »
 ;D ;D  sure, provided it is their opalescent type of glass.        In some ways Blanc-de-Lait has some resemblance to Lalique and Jobling's Opalique  -  the opalescence (opaqueness) becomes more noticeable in the thicker parts of the glass.      If you can beg, steal or borrow a copy of Ray Slack's book on C19 pressed glass there are some examples showing there and some text where he describes in more detail extracts from the Pottery Gazette etc.  -  well worth the money if you collect Victorian pressed glass.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Sowerby basket.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
I don't have the Ray Slack book but do have the Sowerby Gateshead glass, Simon Cottle.
The bowls we are discussing appear on the top left hand side of page 110 of the 1882 pattern book.
Two examples of the bowls are shown. the first bowl has the number 1350 as per Agincourt's post.
The second bowl has the number 1350 and a half.
These two bowls have different handle orientation and only pattern 1350 and a half can be hot worked to produce
the shape of mine and Greg's basket.
Pressed glass is not my area of collecting but i always look at the post's in British and Irish glass.
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand