No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cylinder Bud Vase Signed Edinburgh Glass Works ID Help  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Roobarb

• Members
    • All Glass
    • United Kingdom
Cylinder Bud Vase Signed Edinburgh Glass Works ID Help
« on: December 13, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »
Hello, this piece is signed "Edinburgh" & "Glass Works" on base with what appears to either be "phu" or "nyd" across the centre on the rough pontil. Not been able to find any information other than there was a company called the Edinburgh Glass Works but they merged with Leigh Glass in the 1820s. Any info would be much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Cylinder Bud Vase Signed Edinburgh Glass Works ID Help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 05:42:25 PM »
That would be Leith Glass, not Leigh.
But this looks to be a lot more recent than 1820s.

Something is muttering away at me here. It is muttering Helen Munroe-Turner. I know she did work with Juniper Green, but Leith might have been involved.

The few pieces of her work in the Studio glass style that I have seen tend to use a lot of white glass and be a bit crude. Kind of very not unlike this.
It would be a long shot, but I think that could well be the name to start off with finding out a bit more.
I may be completely wrong!

I have just got out my book which used to belong to H M-T. She wrote Turner inside it.
 Her writing of Turner is not incsistent with the writing on this - which is on glass, not paper, but the way it goes and gets a bit iffy between the r and the n is not dissimilar to the way it goes a bit squiffy between the u and the r.
Letters individually are similar.
I am no handwriting ex-spurt, and don't give much credence to that sort of thing anyway.
I have at least 3-4 totally different writings and styles.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roobarb

• Members
    • All Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »
Hello chopin-liszt, thank you for your reply and info.

I've not been able to find many examples of Helen Monro Turner's work but what I have seen doesn't look like this piece, which looks quite like Kosta  Boda vases I think. It's a bit of a mystery, which I didn't think it would be when first seeing it was signed. I'll keep looking for Helen Monro Turner examples - thank you :)

Offline Roobarb

• Members
    • All Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Whilst doing another search on Helen I came across this photo...

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.sanity.io%2Fimages%2Fcxgd3urn%2Fproduction%2Fce56711f9eb89cd4c571d51c7ce05dda49d8bf22-1400x1137.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theartnewspaper.com%2F2021%2F01%2F22%2Fremembering-sam-herman-pioneering-glass-artist-and-teacher-who-also-won-recognition-for-his-paintings-and-welded-steel-sculptures&tbnid=IkBfIxvZ6Q-OtM&vet=12ahUKEwjEn-vzy-P0AhUB-hoKHUXZDhkQMygcegUIARCLAg..i&docid=PrKS1U7K1bU2GM&w=1400&h=1137&itg=1&q=helen%20monro%20turner%20glass%20vase&ved=2ahUKEwjEn-vzy-P0AhUB-hoKHUXZDhkQMygcegUIARCLAg

Which I thought was very similar to mine, pinky / purple colour, clear base and lines. The article it's from is about Sam Hermam, and it says...

"Herman studied with Littleton, and with the sculptor Leo Steppat, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he seized the opportunity, as one of Littleton’s first students, to develop studio glass techniques, and received a Master of Fine Arts in Sculpture and Glass in 1965. He then won a Fulbright Scholarship to study cold-working glass techniques with Helen Monro Turner at the Edinburgh College of Art."

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
She was a very important lady in glass.  ;D
There are not too many examples of her work around, but there were two or 3 signed bits in an over-expensive antiques place I used to visit. I did manage to study them a little bit, but was not tempted to buy - I'm not fond of white or white opaque glass - and it goes peculiar around the rim.
There is a fairly well-known small amethyst Fish vase, made by Michael Harris, dediciated and given to Helen M-T.
Her importance was not lost on either Sam Herman or Michael Harris.  ;D

It might have helped if I had spelled her name correctly. Munro-Turner.
She famously wore a glass wedding dress. There's a bit about her in Scotland's Glass.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=312&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
Dennis Mann (proudly) uses her old lathe and gave a demonstration on it at the Edinburgh Conference.

eta. Interesting article here.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/41809051
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Roobarb

• Members
    • All Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »
Thanks chopin-liszt.

I will try and add a picture of the vase in daylight tomorrow as think the colour in the photos I've shared isn't a good reflection of the piece. The body has a pink / purple tone :)

Going to research Sam Herman more as that seems like a possibility, unfortunately the pages showing photos of work at http://www.samueljherman.com/glass/index.html don't appear to be working at the mo.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »
It's not Sam's work. I promise you.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 07:15:15 PM »
I do kind of wish Frank would come along and comment on the marks on this. I think he knows a bit more about H. M-T and might have seen some of her blown work too.
I can't find any examples on-line myself.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 12:58:43 AM »
Cannot help at all. But correct is Monro Turner, seem to recall Brian Blench confirming that at one point. As to Edinburgh Glass works, I would read Glass Works Edinburgh so Juniper is quite possible.

Offline Roobarb

• Members
    • All Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Thank you Frank. Will keep hold of this piece until I find out more :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand