No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: James Derbyshire's Trentham Street Works  (Read 734 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
James Derbyshire's Trentham Street Works
« on: December 23, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
On a recent trip to Manchester I was able to take a look at the site where James Derbyshire's second factory once stood. Named the Bridgewater Flint Glass Works, it was in operation from about 1868 to 1879. The site has been reused at least twice since, and the latest demolition had recently finished when I passed by, which gave a clear look at the floor area.

It is believed the works were concentrated on the northwest quadrant of the plot of land.

The first picture looks northwest with the larger rubble mound on the right being roughly where the core part of the factory once was. On the other side of the high wall you see behind is Trentham Street itself. Some parts of the wall may date from the Victorian era.

The second picture was taken from the southwest corner looking northwest, along the line of the surviving wall. The trees at the back mask the railway line, behind that is the Bridgewater Canal, and then the Manchester Ship Canal.

One registration is directly ascribed to these works, RD 305541 from Nov 28th 1876, which I suspect is a railway carriage lamp.

Offline Embroidered

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: James Derbyshire's Trentham Street Works
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 05:09:50 PM »
Very interesting!  I knew Derbyshire's glass works were in that area but I wasn't sure just where.  You can get a good look at the site from the tram, it's near Cornbrook.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand