No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Striped Blown Glass Vase Identification needed Please  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Yxeli

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Ireland
Re: Striped Blown Glass Vase Identification needed Please
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
Thanks Nev,
Wow, well, I still dont want to believe it because that means I'll probably never have a collection! :( But one day if/ when the chips are down and I really need the money, Ill put it online for sale,  and I'll come back to this thread and update you all. I'll say 'attributed to Clichy', and if theres a bidding war then...Ill come back and tell you you were right!! :)
Thanks so much!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
Yxeli, I'd go with Clichy if only for the fact your vase is a miniature one, as you say, only 4.5"/11.5cm. Either way you're on to a winner.
As Nev says, you’ve got something good either way.

As regards the height, the Flacon with this decor (or very similar) in the Harrach book is 14cm high, I assume that includes the tear shape stopper that looks to be a third of the overall height. So the bottle part is probably just over 9cm or 3.5 inches - even smaller.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks for confirming the base looks polished/shiny.
Is it slightly indented curved inwards? as though it has a polished circular pontil mark covering the whole base?  It's just too difficult to tell from your photographs.

I'd lean to Clichy rather than Bohemian as well.  Need to find a shape match.

m

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 06:19:35 PM »
English Weather appears to have a similar

Well actually, I never claimed to currently own a piece. I was speaking from experience but quite right, the polished pontil to the very edge is not a Bohemian trait.

The bands of canes are a different size on the carafe because it is a bigger size.

I am going controversial now, (nothing new). The attribution of the carafe as being Josephinehutte, are I believe, incorrect. People have taken the technique of canes in glass from one item(s) and made them all the same when they are clearly different though in some eyes, similar.

I will send examples in next post

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2022, 06:39:08 PM »
Whilst these may be "similar" they are very different from the Clichy production.

The glass has a slightly grey tinge and is thinner with the space between the canes able to be felt as ridges, (because it is not a thickly cased).

As Free flying pointed out, the shape is not Bohemian of the initial vase in question.

Why would anyone list in auction an item that is Clichy as Josephinehutte? Look at the prices!

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4984933_becher-josephinenhuette-glass-beaker-tendrild-old

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4268363_268-becher-josephinenhuette-glass-beaker-vintage-old

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8742191_288-becher-graflich-schaffgotsch-sche-josephinenhutte

Offline Yxeli

• Members
    • Ireland
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
Is it slightly indented curved inwards? as though it has a polished circular pontil mark covering the whole base?  It's just too difficult to tell from your photographs.

No, not al all concave, the base is very flat! :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 06:51:56 PM »
English Weather appears to have a similar

Well actually, I never claimed to currently own a piece. I was speaking from experience but quite right, the polished pontil to the very edge is not a Bohemian trait.

The bands of canes are a different size on the carafe because it is a bigger size.

I am going controversial now, (nothing new). The attribution of the carafe as being Josephinehutte, are I believe, incorrect. People have taken the technique of canes in glass from one item(s) and made them all the same when they are clearly different though in some eyes, similar.

I will send examples in next post

I'm not sure if we're talking at cross purposes but just to clarify:

I'm aware that if the item is larger the canes may appear bigger, but what I meant was that on a couple of the Clichy pieces, it definitely looks as though the white cane is deliberately thinner than the pink cane  for example, they both have clear 'stripe' showing between each of them but I think the white canes are purposefully thinner than the pink regardless of the size of the item - see page 303 La Cristallerie de Clichy.

I think we're in difficult territory when comparing canes on items  - Josephinenhutte used many as far as I know.  The first millefiori paperweight came from Bohemia if I recall correctly.

There is a comment here on this paperweight website about early Bohemian millefiori production saying:
'There is documentation to suggest that some of these factories engaged in the manufacture of millefiori as early as 1833.'
https://www.paperweights.com/paperweights/bohemian.htm

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »
No, not al all concave, the base is very flat! :)

Thanks - interesting.

m

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 07:44:39 PM »
How do I pick up a quote from another post so it appears in a tinted box when I post an answer?

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 07:51:02 PM »
How do I pick up a quote from another post so it appears in a tinted box when I post an answer?
Click where it says ‘quote’ at the top right of the post you’re interested in.

The Flacon in the Harrach book can be seen in the third picture here https://www.kavkabook.cz/en/p/from-neuwelt-to-the-whole-world-300-years-of-harrach-glass That image isn’t very good (you can zoom in a bit) but to me looking in the actual book it looks like the exact same canes as in Yxeli’s vase and in blue/white versions in the Dr Fischer auctions in my links in reply 34. Given the limitations of the printed photo in the book and screen reproduction, I appreciate they might not actually be the same but very similar, or the same canes used by different manufacturers.

Scaling off the screen, the base of Yxeli’s vase is only about an inch diameter, would that make any difference to how it was finished?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand