No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Glass Bowl  (Read 925 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Opalescent Glass Bowl
« on: December 24, 2021, 07:24:32 PM »
As far as I know this bowl is S Reich and goes with an opalescent lady and found in other colours.

Is there any provenance and has it a 100% attribution.

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Opalescent Glass Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
I've got one similar in uranium green and the pattern is usually attributed, with no provenance, to Reich but I don't think it's in the catalogues that I can see. So it's possible it's by another maker, maybe someone like Schweig and Muller.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 05:26:58 AM »
Definitely Reich: it’s shown in flanged form in Reich’s c. 1934 catalogue, along with the matching figure and plinth. P.82, the set has the catalogue number 9174 (catalogue available from glas-musterbuch.de). the wavy rim is less obvious on the drawing, but the two rows of chevrons matches, as does the figure on complete sets. Interestingly despite the catalogue showing a flanged version, most I’ve seen have been in this cupped form.

A complete set with the figure and plinth is shown on Black Poppy’s site here: https://www.black-poppy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/S.-Reich-Co-52.jpg

There are a few examples in other colours in the miscellaneous frogs section on that site too.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 06:25:12 AM »
Thanks Steven
Very helpful the reason I ask is I have one for sale and had this question sent to me.

What makes you believe this unsigned and unmarked piece is in fact by S. Reich?
(4x great grandson of the founder of the Reich glass business)

I have yet to reply to gentleman.

Merry Christmas to you all and thanks again Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
I'd already looked through the '34 Reich catalogue on the 'musterbuch' - not sure I got to the final page No. 82 (pattern 9174) - without recognizing that it matched Roy's bowl  -  I think you would need some guidance to make the connection.            The moulded zig-zag lines are different in quantity and thickness - the appearance of the rim shape is different, and of course if you're minus the plinth and lady that too would hinder the connection.

I wouldn't question Steven's claim for this match since I lack knowledge of Reich material and certainly have never owned this pattern, but making the connection from the catalogue page alone it does require a leap of faith to connect Roy's bowl and the musterbuch image.            I assume that Reich are known to have made other of their patterns in this opalescent appearance.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
I missed the pattern 9174, does that refer just to the figurine or the set? I see P.81 is missing which may have given the answer. Here's a photo of my 30cm. bowl for comparison. 9174 seems to have similar stippling.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 07:43:43 PM »
Hi Roy
That chap you mentioned that sent you a message has also sent me messages before regarding other Reich items I was selling on ebay with exactly the same messsage he sent you.I find him quite rude and obnoxious
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand