No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby Glass Vase With Gold/Silver Gilded Flora/Insects???  (Read 1095 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Ruby Glass Vase With Gold/Silver Gilded Flora/Insects???
« on: January 11, 2022, 04:07:58 PM »
Purchased a small collection from a friend of my family recently and wanted to get some
more opinions if i can i thought this vase looked like Webb in my opinion?? If so would it
have likely been decorated by Jules Barbe? Or are they few and far between? The vase
rang Webb as the rim shape and base having a larger super neat pontil scar are attributes i
have on another Webb vase in my collection. The glass is quite heavy for a 9 1/4" vase it is
thick ish glass with a slight ribbing also any views thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Re: Ruby Glass Vase With Gold/Silver Gilded Flora/Insects???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 04:09:05 PM »
few more pictures

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 10:29:52 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say that gilding isn't by Jules Barbe  :o  I could be wrong though!
  His gilding was immaculate.  His recipe died with him and was not replicated iirc.  The base design, which was to be gilded, was made using his own specific recipe then it was gilded and burnished.  The pieces I've seen have had much more perfect gilding on the 'padded' design base. I don't think the gilding is the quality of Barbe.

I don't know who the vase is by but the decoration looks to be pewter and gilding. 
Harrach was a user of both as far as I know.  I don't know about Webb's use of pewter and gilding together.  You might be able to find a shape match in a different decor which could link it to Webb perhaps?  Corning have some Webb pieces and I think the Black Country museums website does also.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 08:23:53 AM »
Would agree that decoration on this looks a long way from Barbe - I could be very wrong but the individual decoration looks crude, and possibly to have been applied as a 'whole' item, rather than gilded in a painted form as in a picture.       I hate to be negative, but will you please re-check that your 'pontil' is indeed ground/polished  -  it covers an unusually large part of the base  -  try a lens and see if the grinding marks are visible. :)                Agree, there appears to be a lot of wear which gives automatic sense of substantial age, but even if an item is used for 40 - 60 years this can make for a lot of scratches.   

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »
I think the pontil mark is fine and that it's been gilded with gold and pewter by hand  :)

Harrach and Webb are both worth searching for a shape match.
The decor is striped isit?  a red with a darker red?  Or am I imagining it and it's just the reflections and the way ruby photographs.
There is an orange hue to the base photo.  Could that indicate a red made using selenium?

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »
my thoughts m, about the base are that it appears, on my screen, to show a small lip where the outer foot rim then dips to the very large inner area.     Ground/polished pontil marks don't appear like this normally - they graduate from a depression to the unworked area in a seamless manner without any lips or steps.               Of course I could just be having a bad screen viewing day ;)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
Thank you for great replies on this red vase, I would like to add the red is a very deep lovely red color with slight ribbing to the glass on closer inspection i can see vertical lines going from the base upwards to the start of the neck. The color on the base photograph throwing that unusual color possibly Selenium i am not to sure it maybe :) I have added below a picture of the rim next to a Filamentosa vase for comparison as this style of rim in my opinion is not that common.
Have made a better effort on the base picture too on closer looks it seems to be very finely polished with lines going in different directions very neatly done.
I was hoping the vase would be a Webb piece but the Jules connection would have been great as i have not owned anything or seen anything in the flesh Gilded by Barbe its maybe wishful thinking thank you all

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »
Pictures nearly forgot lol

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 12:24:57 PM »
what's the pontil mark like on the Webb Filamentosa?  is it large like the red one?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »
Harrach did a similar shape in this 'peacblow' though not quite the same shape.
This example is signed with the Harrach propeller mark and also has the white underbase design for the gilding I think.
Looks to have a large polished pontil mark which shows both the edging of the pink casing and the white internal layer of glass on the base.

https://glasspotsigned.com/category/harrach/

And that one that has the Harrach propeller mark is very similar to this one sold it seems as  'Webb'  which I queried and hence found the marked one above:
https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/2433-webb-thomas-and-sons-england-glass/

Harrach - large polished pontil mark on show here:

https://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-Harrach-71.html

Lots of examples of gilded and pewter vases from Harrach here - with many examples of insects and gilded on that white paste design base:
https://www.thegildedcurio.com/tag-Harrach.html

Of course yours could be Webb but I'd be inclined to search for Harrach for a comparison shape as well.

The Gilded Curio has this yellow over white one gilded with ... daisies (?) ... as Webb:
https://www.thegildedcurio.com/images-large/162-a.jpg

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand