No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please to ID Edinburgh Crystal Pedestal Bowl Pattern  (Read 643 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help Please to ID Edinburgh Crystal Pedestal Bowl Pattern
« on: January 13, 2022, 07:52:14 PM »
Help please to ID this Edinburgh crystal pedestal bowl. I have not been able to find another example yet.

Signed on base and also has 2 labels.
Weight 2.9kg
Diameter 9.25"
Height 7"

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help Please to ID Edinburgh Crystal Pedestal Bowl Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
sorry no idea as to pattern name  -  have you tried the Replacements.com site, Roy  -  not guaranteed to provide the answer, but always worth a go.         Looking at the back stamp, then this is almost certainly of recent manufacture, and if very recent might even be from the period when the glass was made outside the U.K., although have an idea those pieces carry the word 'International'.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Thanks Paul

I was not thinking that recent as one of the labels on the foot is very faded. I think it reads Quality Crystal Made in Scotland, I could be wrong but thought pre 2000.
I will add picture later.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »
the earlier C20 mark was 'Edinburgh Crystal' in circular form, with E & L in the centre  ...............  post W.W. II roughly the same circular mark but reading 'Made in Scotland' and again with E & L in the centre.          Then about 1955 it looks like there was an oval back stamp 'Made in Scotland' with simply 'Edinburgh' in the centre  -  so yours likely to be the last 20 - 25 years possibly.
Wish I'd kept all my pieces, they did some great stuff.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 07:34:41 PM »
Thanks Paul.

Not found a match yet but still looking.

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
The mark you have, Edinburgh Crystal, written in that font, was in use in the early '90s, Roy.
It was on some wineglasses I bought as a wedding present, before I got properly interested in glass.
I was most irritated that the mark was not in the middle of the underside of the foot, but out on the rim, so it showed.  ::)

I have just checked the Ionas I also bought in the early '90s. They are marked Edinburgh Scotland. Iona is a hallmark design which is not outsourced. I'm wondering if the use of "crystal" indicates outsourced work.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand