No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New to Site - Need Help Identifying this Vase  (Read 787 times)

Offline GunnyB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Vase: Art Glass
    • United States
New to Site - Need Help Identifying this Vase
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:00:37 PM »
Does anyone know what this mushroom mark is on the bottom of the glass vase or if it's a mark at all?  I was told it was not a mark but instead a Mica Flake that gathered at the bottom when the pontil scar was smoothed over.   I'm trying to figure out who makes it or if there is anything similar to it. It's hand blown very heavy glass. The vase itself is a deep, almost black purplish to bluish color. When looking down it you can see that purple/blue color as the light comes through the thinnest sides of the inside walls. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: New to Site - Need Help Identifying this Vase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:29 AM »
Hi - Welcome to the GMB :)          I'd suggest this mark is the result of the inclusion  -  as can be seen elsewhere in the glass - of a metallic foil of some description that was applied randomly whilst the glass was hot, and the appearance at the base just happens to be where some foil came to rest as the glass cooled, and can now be seen due to removal of the pontil scar. 
Gold, silver and perhaps other metallic foils have been used as a means of decoration in and on glass for some decades - particularly by the glass houses at Murano.            IMHO I doubt it's mica, a mineral, used extensively earlier in the C20 for radio valves and other thermal connections, and for which transparency was an important requirement  -  whereas foil, in particular gold and silver can be made ultra thin and flexible.
Sorry, no idea as to the origins of your vase, hopefully others here will be able to help  -  the neck appears v. narrow for a vase.     There were some difficulties, apparently, in producing a real black glass, and most pieces that appear black are a very deep purple when held up to transmitted light - as you've discovered - though true black I think can now be made. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:43:41 AM »
P.S.   probably more accurate to say  " ...  leaf  ..."   rather that foil.

Offline GunnyB

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:13:47 PM »
Thank you for your insight.  The coloration does include a silver metallic tone.   It's 9-1/2" tall and about 2-3/4" at its widest point in the middle.  The neck opening is narrow like you said.  This is why at first glance I though this was a bud vase.  I just added water and it comfortably holds 750ML of liquid so maybe its a decanter instead.  Someone also told me it might be Isle of Wight.  I've looked at some of their pieces and even though like true Murano no one piece is the same, I didn't see anything resembling it.   I'd like to just narrow down the origin...impossible as that might be.  Thank you again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »
with these inclusions of metallic leaf/foil then obviously one of the first thoughts would be a possible Muranese origin, and it might yet turn out to be from that part of the world  -  we have folk here who have some knowledge of glass with that origin  -  though most of that glass tends to be colourful rather than very dark like this piece.               The appearance of decorative glass is often deceptive, and frequently unrelated to what might be thought of as an obvious use, and off-hand I wouldn't have thought this to be a variation on a decanter, but who knows  -  the glass world is full of surprises.              I also know nothing about IOW - but again we have members who do, so fingers crossed.
Take it that there is what looks like some trailing of clear glass around the neck  -  does that sound correct? 

Offline GunnyB

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:02:09 PM »
Yes there is string of clear glass wrapped around the neck. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
It is not from any known IoWSG range, but Charlie Meaker did train there, and he was prone to pieces more in this style, with clear strapping. However, most of his work was a lovely shade of blue.
Your mushroom mark, is, as has been said, just a bit of the silver foil decor which got revelaed when the scar was removed.
You can tell it was foil, because you can see that the little bits would all jig-saw back together. It broke up when the bottle was blown a bit bigger.

IoWSG would never have used a gouged out pontil scar like that, but Charlie Meaker did. In fact, it was a lot more gouged but with smaller gouges than this. This just has 3 big ones.

Pic of a Charlie Meaker piece here. Wrongly describing the silver and gold foil decor as aventurine.  >:(
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-charlie-meaker-studio-glass-vase-compressed-e1f1411b8e

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:25 PM »
may be completely unrelated, but just noticed that in the Miller's/McConnell '20th Century Glass' book - page 235 - there are couple of pieces of 'black' glass vases with random gold leaf inclusions, which were given the name of 'gold and ebony' - and designed by Iesten Davies - later of the Blowzone Studio, Stourbridge.                            Apparently made at the Scottish Strathearn glassworks at Crieff, though a short lived venture it seems.             Regret I've no idea if these pieces had the scar removed to leave a pontil depression.

Offline GunnyB

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 12:45:10 AM »
I viewed the Charlie Meaker link provide.  Very interesting.   I google searched Meaker and found this on worthpoint.  Pretty dang close...any thoughts???

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unusual-studio-art-glass-vase-charlie-1410887706

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 12:36:20 PM »
Stuart Stratherarn "Ebony" is gold foil on black (no silver used), the base finish is flat and polished. Rims are also polished.
Iestyn Davies trained at IoWSG.

I have not seen Charlie Meaker's work in black before. It is usually that opaque-ish soft blue.
But your vase is very much his style.
Rather than googling the www, I have done a search of this board,  ;) which brings up a fair bit, including information about him as well as images.  :)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=search2
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand