No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cut and engraved decanter for show.  (Read 620 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
cut and engraved decanter for show.
« on: January 14, 2022, 03:09:06 PM »
Probably around mid C19, possibly British, shaft and globe though I stand to be corrected and with a square section stopper which pleased to see is the original as both bottle and stub carry matching Nos.            Damage is obvious, but overall the bottle was too interesting to leave behind - some little while since I've bought glass repaired with staples - you see the same sort of repair on ceramics too - obviously loved by someone. 

The base is cut with eight wide radial fingers, each outlined similar to Kny's broad-leaf design  -  but this bottle doesn't have the sort of age for an eight way mitre (c. mid C18 and each leaf made by two separate passes of the wheel) - likewise the un-lipped rim is generally a feature on older glass - and the main cutting pattern is found on earlier bottles too.
The notches on the neck run down the arises of the flat/hollow flutes (what I always thought was slice cutting) - and appear mostly in the second half of the C19.    The copper wheel engraving is v. attractive - especially on what looks like the rope of a sash cord, with similar cutting and engraving on the stopper, the top of which is polished flat/smooth.        Cutting midway down the neck is a smaller version of the main cutting - unfortunately, bit difficult to photograph.

But it's a difficult piece to pigeon hole with confidence  -  it could be more recent than c. 1850 - 60, but would it be too complex for someone to spend time copying in the C20 maybe?   
Base wear is difficult to assess in the absence of any flat surfaces, and the internal cleanliness, though desirable, seems remarkable.

In the absence of grape and vine motif, the intended use might have been cordial, liqueur or possibly sherry  -  overall height is just over 12 inches (about 31 cms.), and if nothing else the staples suggest a manufacture date prior to either a late C19 or early C20 repair.           

Anyway, all comments welcome - four pix will flip over to the following post.                    thanks for looking.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: cut and engraved decanter for show.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 03:11:55 PM »
and some pix of the wheel engraving etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:33:29 PM »
Looks good, I like staple repairs which is a bit perverse. Do these shops you frequent have an online shop for the rest of us ;D

The engraving looks good, it looks like they have even engraved detail of the knot above the tassel?

Might it be French? The flowers remind me of my French beaker http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67076.msg374195.html#msg374195

On page 173 of the Miller’s antiques checklist there is an English jug with similar flowers but gilt, although that one is English, he says “More usually produced in France”, I assume talking about the flowers.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
agree with you, I like repaired pieces too  -  at least you know they weren't made yesterday  -  and they're usually of some quality.           Have to say this one didn't come from a charity shop - it cost me £15 which is a lot more than I usually pay for glass - they wanted £20 and I'd offered £10, so we went in the middle, and I think it's good value if only because it has the original stopper.
Honestly I'd not thought French, but you could be right  -  generally I'm never heavily into bottles, just buy the odd one if it's attractive and cheap - I sometimes think I'll collect them seriously then I look in McConnell and realize that's a stupid idea. 
Your gilding looks good, and I also think that Continental figures look better than our rather plain Anglo-Saxon things.
West's threaded jug is v. attractive but his comments are ambiguous and agree I also don't know if he's talking of the threaded body or the gilded flowers.             According to Hajdamach, the Stourbridge guys were mustard at threading - manual and machine worked stuff, but no idea if the French were abreast of the U.K. or far ahead with this type of decoration.           I'd have thought that this stylized wheel engraved floral decoration was commonplace in Europe generally, but really not well up on this subject  -  must read more.  ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:05:37 PM »
I’m getting better at resisting Decanters but it’s difficult when the old ones have the original stopper! Looks like you did ok with an interesting example and someone treasured it before you :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand