No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cut glass footed bowl  (Read 1363 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: cut glass footed bowl
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
 ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »
is the cut stem of this bowl and the merese, usual for something 20th century?

I was just wondering if this was a 19th century piece, specifically c.1850 ish.  (And, she whispers, could it also be from Bohemia or is that out of the question?)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »
no, it's probably not 'usual'  -  the basic design shape goes back a very long way, though it's possible the pattern has been viewed for some time as 'old fashioned' - now, people would probably buy either a straightforward bowl or a flatish shaped cake stand.                  IMHO this has nothing to do with the C19 or Bohemia (famous last words), and is more likely to be from the middle third of the C20.
The design seems to fall between two stools, and ends up being more decorative than practical  -  it doesn't quite make it to qualify as a traditional tazza, and fails in capacity to be a decent usable bowl on stem.
In the second half of the C19, Sowerby were keen on this outline shape and made many designs - though in pressed glass only - some with detachable stems/plinths, thus making the item versatile, though as we've said, traditionally the foot would have been round.
That's not to say this one is unusable - would make an attractive centre piece for the dining table if loaded with grapes or glace fruits.

cue for song ................  altogether now         "Whispers in the morning of lovers sleeping tight    ...............  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 11:08:23 PM »
I've just realised what that facet cut stem reminded me of ... at least I think I have.

When I was researching a mid 19th overlay cut to clear goblet I came across a Bakewell Pears goblet (I think - it was Bakewell something and the post on Frosted glass decanter has just reminded me of it), and if I recall correctly they did a goblet with a stem facet cut like this or very similar. 

Could it be American or is it not the kind of thing they would have done?

Edited to add:
Ah, maybe not - this one I've found the shape of the stem is the other way up and not the same  :-[
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/4115

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand