No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registered design 29th May 1872 Manchester opaque blue Dolphin Oil lamp base  (Read 2034 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Yes they are.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you :)  They don't look the same at all do they unfortunately.

On the reg date info:
I have no idea how these registrations worked in practise, however just to note Percival Vickers registered a design on 30th May 1872
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/lozenge3.htm

Number: 263032

Percival, Vickers & Co   
30-May-72

parcel : 7

The closest date before that is 11 May 1872 John Derbyshire

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Thanks, Yes I’ve checked out that list, remember they are probably all class 3 for glass. We are close?
So near but so far..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes, that's what I mean ... I don't know how they worked really but just thought worth noting.

Percival Vickers seems to have done a dolphin vase here:
http://www.victorianpressedglass.com/gallery_other.htm

I wonder what the reg number is for it?
ah, apparently date code for 1874
https://picclick.co.uk/Antique-Uranium-Vaseline-Glass-Percival-Vickers-Fish-263888179280.html

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Yes I won a green one of those the other day, not the same, look at the second row down you will see another blue vase by Burtles Tate similar opaque blue.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ah,I don't perceive that as the same blue as the lamp :)  It's lighter.  I know it's all perception and lighting and batch mixes etc, but I still think it's slightly different.

However ... it could be that a Burtles and Tate link is worth searching for.

Again this is probably a ridiculous question but is it worth looking at who registered metal work designs on the date on the lozenge?  or is that an enormous job?  It could just be that a glassmaker will be found amongst those registrations.
Apologies if you've already done this.

m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Thanks already tried that, what’s frustrating with the archives is that I’ve got the exact date but I still can’t find it from that. But I’m not an expert on that site.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Isn't it most likely that the burner will have been a Hinks Duplex for that period?

Example here:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1138513560/stunning-very-large-royal-doulton

No, wait.  I can't believe a maker of a pressed glass base put a reg design of an oil burner maker on it's glass. That would be odd. I wonder where the mold came from?  Was it a mold for making metal 'snub-nose sturgeon' copy bases first?  Is that possible?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok some names for you here:

https://baldwinhamey.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/dolphin-lampposts/

The lamps were modelled by C. H. Mabey.  C. H. Mabey was a sculpture along with his father and his son.  His son appears to have had the same initials however he was born in 1867 so it wouldn't have been him who modelled the lamps.

There is lots more information in  the replies/comments on the blog  about replicas of the sturgeon lampposts being made also but they are much more recent so not a lot to go on.  Worth a read for manufacturers names etc.
(and some discussion over the use of the description 'sturgeon' with one commentator saying that in old references they are called dolphin lamps.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand