No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registered design 29th May 1872 Manchester opaque blue Dolphin Oil lamp base  (Read 2035 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The Builder - November 20 1886 page 724

What appears to be a very comprehensive description of George Vulliamy after his death.  Unfortunately having had a read through it, nothing of note to link to your glass base.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Builder/eztOAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=george+vulliamy&pg=PA724&printsec=frontcover

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
An example of blue Manchester glass, cannot remember off the top of my head but either Derbyshire or Burtles.

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm sorry but I still think that looks like a very slightly different blue  :-[

Re the reg mark on the 'sturgeon' lamp.  Might it have been imported?
On the other hand Bernard mentions here, if I've understood it correctly, that sometimes molds made for earthenware designs were transferred to glass and hence have a reg class mark for earthenware.  Therefore could the same not be for a metal mold?
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,88.msg255.html#msg255

So it could be worth looking to see if a metal version of your lamp base existed/exists?

m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Roy, I had a couple of those bud vases, Neil has a similar registered design by Ker and Webb in blue and I think those vases have a pattern which has been found on a signed Ker Webb pieces. The lamp stand blue is more in line with the Victoria dark blue than the pastey speckled Ker and Webb blue.
I’ll investigate metal registrations in the archives but I’m leaning in the Derbyshire brothers direction due to the colour and your lion with the peg on its head.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Variations of Derbyshire opaque blues, thanks to Larry Wilson for the photo.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes, I'd go with that blue.  It looks very similar.  Although presumably you are able to match the lamp base to B&T and Derbyshire pieces to see if it's a good match colour wise?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 I think matching the step angular form of the base could be key.  It's not a copy of the lamp-post base which is curved. 

Did Derbyshire make anything else with this type of base? 

I'm also still wondering if the metal-class registered mold came from a metal cast of the lamp base.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
with some help from Neil  the dolphin lamp was made by Wright & Butler (Bristol lampworks Birmingham) rd 262363. Wright and Butler were lamp makers not necessarily glass manufacturers so the glass base was probably made by a different company.
Uk Lamps are usually named after the company that makes the burner rather than the glass accompaniments.
FC Osler made lamp bases that were used on Samuel Clarke Fairly night light holders and the same bases were used on Hinks lamps…

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Is that rd number for Wright & Butler, the same as the rd lozenge on your glass?
Bohemian makers also made glass for the Samuel Clarke Fairy lights. There are some examples on here I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand