No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Y shaped vase, 1960s?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Y shaped vase, 1960s?
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:46:54 PM »
This vase is about 8 inches (20 cm) high x about 7 inches (18 cm) wide x about 3.5 inches (9 cm) deep. The base has been ground flat and polished and the edges of the bottom beveled. It was supposedly purchased in the 1960s. It is a thick, heavy piece of glass despite the odd shape. It is a functional vase and was used that way for several decades. Does anyone recognize this vase or know the maker? Thanks!
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Y shaped vase, 1960s?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:02:53 AM »
Surely not Skrdlovice, and rather not Czech at all.
Maybe Murano?

Michael

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 09:06:11 AM »
Thanks, Michael. Why do you think that? Not disagreeing, as I have seen somewhat similar shaped Italian glass, just wondering if you could explain why you think that? It might give me a direction in searching for the maker. I appreciate your help!

I know very little about Italian glass. It has just not been of interest to me...

Surely not Skrdlovice, and rather not Czech at all.
Maybe Murano?

Michael

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »
I think more likely Murano, possibly Arte Nuova who made this sort of thing and were known to bevel the bottom edge. If you can test it under UV light it might contain a layer of uranium glass.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 10:22:36 AM »
I think more likely Murano, possibly Arte Nuova who made this sort of thing and were known to bevel the bottom edge. If you can test it under UV light it might contain a layer of uranium glass.

Thanks! I have a UV light somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »
Does  Arte Nuova = Nuova Artas? I can find little data about Arte Nuova..... some examples on Glass Encyclopedia,,,,

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 06:30:29 PM »
Googling Arte Nuova Murano brings up quite a few pieces, apparently not a lot is known about the company itself. Of course your vase might not be by them, I can't find another one quite like it.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »
Googling Arte Nuova Murano brings up quite a few pieces, apparently not a lot is known about the company itself. Of course your vase might not be by them, I can't find another one quite like it.

Thanks. That is what I found, as well. The only thing that I can find close in shape to this vase are some pieces by Skrdlovice, but that does not seem to be a likely option. I am sure that I saw a similar vase on an online auction site a few years ago but just cannot remember the details. I know very little about Murano glass, and have actually been avoiding it to limit the scope of my collection..... I did find some more pieces by Googling "Nuova Artas". I also found a small brochure/card and am attaching it. Assuming, of course, it is the same company. The seller of the item it was attached to assumed it was... They gave me permission to attach it to this thread.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 06:55:30 PM »
I did finally find this:

"sometimes bearing labels which read "Arte Nuova Murano, Grand Prize, Genuine Venetian Glass, World Fair Brussels 1958". Other examples have a label which reads "Arte Nuova Murano, Pustetto & Zanetti, Made in Italy". The factory was open only for a relatively short time, from 1954 to 1965."

No source this data. Just adding to help in documenting this maker...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand