No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very interesting glass auction with vaseline statue  (Read 2349 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Very interesting glass auction with vaseline statue
« on: September 08, 2006, 07:07:04 AM »
Hi,

I didnt think this was breaking any board rules by posting this auction. I just found it a very interesting item and may answer a couple of questions about vaseline Murano glass and ages. Its a very beautiful statue anyway, I thought, even with damage. So if anyone wants to take a look. (not my auction btw, just one I found while browsing that I wanted to share.)

link

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:19:19 AM »
It's an interesting and rather beautiful piece, but I wonder if it is Cenedese?  And although the seller states that it's 1950's, where are they getting their information from?

:?
I am not a man

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
Do you think that they have signed it? Im not up on the signatures so I just take on face value.

Max, are you anywhere near Maidstone? I was born there  :) And my parents are visiting there as we speak...

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:29:45 AM »
To be honest, I don't know about the signature Selina.  Hopefully an Italian glass expert will be able to say.  I can only go from books, and it's not the same as field experience.  Lesley Jackson's 20th Century Factory Glass says that Cenedese is usually unmarked, but some pieces diamond engraved with designers surname or a fuller inscription including the designers name and Cenedese plus date.

As I said though, I'm no way an expert, but I like to stretch my wings a bit, it's a way for me to learn and it provokes good discussion on the GMB.  :)  

...and yes, I'm near Maidstone, but nearer Tenterden.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:41:26 AM »
Lenore put a Cenedese item on the board recently:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5933.0.html

It has a similar signature style, so I'm probably making a fuss about nothing.  :)
I am not a man

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »
I dont think you are making a fuss, just discussing something that seems to be relevant these days.
Personally Id love if less things were signed. Then that would mean a better chance of my glass being Murano ... :o

Selina
Trudy

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 04:55:20 PM »
Hi,

Cenedese started signing everything in the early 1970s, I believe. Before that there were sporatic signatures. Some items are signed with the designers name plus company name, more common items are just etched "Cenendese."  Although script signatures are the norm, this one looks just a tad different than the post 1970s signature I'm used to. I'm not saying that it's wrong, just that it's messier than I'm used to seeing. It's possible that it's a 1960s "one off" signature, which might explain both the uranium and the signature.

Cenedese did do a lot of work in vaseline, so the figure having uranium makes me feel more confident that it was Cenedeses. Too bad about the damage - this piece is very unusual, and I'm sure of great interest to the Murano vaseline collectors.

Laura

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand