No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CORDIAL/WINE LAUNAY HAUTIN-1840. FOR SHOW  (Read 1400 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
CORDIAL/WINE LAUNAY HAUTIN-1840. FOR SHOW
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:20:42 AM »
  Recently acquired. Blown moulded [pressure moulded] bowl. Free blown and tooled stem and foot. Ground and polished foot bottom with cut star. Thin cut [ finger flutes] above pattern on bowl. Form exactly like 503 on 2 partie  planche1 in the 1840 catalog. Nice to know that lines above the pattern are cut , not moulded. 3 1/2 inches tall.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: CORDIAL/WINE LAUNAY HAUTIN-1840. FOR SHOW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 04:45:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing and what a great find :)
Is it heavy and solid and does it feel great to hold with a drink?  I love my uranium glass tumblers.  They are so ergonomic.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 05:36:26 AM »
  Yes m. For some reason this type of glassware seems to invoke a response in me. Not sure exactly why. wether it's weight, the soft contours of the patterns, or ergonomics. Probably all three and some other. A kind of "tactile attraction' . Once I put it down I want to pick it up again. On another level I just like the three different approaches in combination all in one piece. They seem to be always of a consistent quality as well.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »
Do you know what the pattern number is?  Was it made by Baccarat?  I'm just wondering if it was by them (does the pattern code have an italic B in front of it?) because from memory I think they invented some pressure molding new system around that time.  So I'm thinking it was possibly used to create your goblet.

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 10:19:08 AM »
https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1840.20+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMCZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9NzQwJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTIwJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Here is the catalogue page, the heading says "B et St. L.". I was researching something else and found Baccarat were using compressed air moulding from the 1840's.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 10:36:22 AM »
Oooh that's irritating that it's on a page that says B & St. L as a header.  I was just wondering about it because mine have an italic B in front of the pattern number.

I think this is when they had a joint marketing effort ongoing. Baccarat and Saint Louis had taken over and incorporated one, or perhaps two, other French makers in the process as well iirc. I'm going from memory here.
I don't know why some in Launay Hautin have the code in front of the designs and then others like yours have a 'joint' page.  Perhaps the machinery was used for both companies but invented at Baccarat? 

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
  The invention of the process goes back to the 1820s by Ishmael Robinet of Baccarat. This subject has been alluded to on the board previously. Topic:" Luanay & Hautin catalogue 1840: Three examples. show & tell " Nov. 08, 2020 by me. Also a different topic by Paul S. May 22, 2013 titled "J.C. Cottle decanter Rd.744629" reply #2.

I have just bought a copy of the "GLASS CLUB BULLETIN" no. 126 [ Sept. 1979 ] online today. This contains an article by Miriam E. Mucha titled " MECHANIZATION FRENCH STYLE CHRISTAUX, MOULES en PLEIN" stay tuned.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 10:12:34 PM »
That sounds as though it could be a very interesting read.  I have read about the Baccarat process somewhere online and now in the recesses of my brain and I'm sure Ivo also discussed it in years gone by on the board.

Lovely glass.  If mine weren't uranium I would use them.

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
  To your previous reply #5 m. Your assumptions seem to be correct. The invention was not patented and certainly known within the French glass industry by the year 1832 when Ishmael Robinet was awarded a Gold Medal and 8,000 francs by L Academie des Sciences and a very generous pension by Baccarat.
  A quote from the article in the bulletin "In studying these catalogs it becomes very evident the two firms worked closely together for the years in question. In some cases they supplemented for one another sizes of objects within the same pattern".

I was thinking of starting a new topic to address this subject in a more general way to the board. What do you think m?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 06:28:20 PM »
The board is for anyone to start any topic (related to glass) that they may wish to :)

Personally I think it's a fascinating topic.  Especially in light of the joint marketing (and possibly production?) tie up.  Also because there are a couple of quite extensive catalogues of the results of this method available to view.  I suppose most importantly though, because it possibly changed French glass production in a big way and technologically is an incredibly interesting invention.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand