No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do you recognize this glass mark?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Do you recognize this glass mark?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 08:31:47 AM »
Hi, I have been told that this mark may be MVM Cappellin.

I find that difficult to reconcile with the style of the glass itself - in my limited experience so unlike anything from Cappellin from the 1920s say. It reads MW rather than MM. Wasn't Lobmeyr's mark more like a portcullis?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
Hi, firstly a thanks for keeping an eye out for this attribution. Secondly an apology for the late reply but I've been otherwise engaged. There are certainly similarities with the Hermitage glass but I have also checked the gilding and it could well be electroplated, although the edge is irregular so that would tell against it I believe. I've had no additional insight as to their origin but agree that MVM Cappellin is unlikely as I can't believe that they are Murano.  According to Andy McConnell the Lobmeyr mark would be more precise if made by them.  I don't have sufficient knowledge of Lobmeyr to comment.  At the moment I'd have to say that the Russian attribution looks best but wouldn't the mark be in cyrillic script? Kind regards, Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »
Excellent links Ekimp.
Very interesting.  It might be worth the OP contacting the Novy Bor museum to ask for help.

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »
 Thanks :) it’s interesting to see the reproductions next to the originals on the Realorrepro page.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 11:42:30 AM »
Hi, I think that Ekimp has knocked it on the head.  Their being reproductions or museum copies makes sense as I am seeing the occasional example come up at auction and on eBay.  The letters "cop" which can be vaguely made out on the mark, and more clearly on the mark of the other glasses that I posted at the same time, may well stand for copy?  The M may be shorthand for Museum so shorthand for Museum copy?  I looked at the Portheimka Museum web site in Prague but can't find a shop.  I'll see what I can find out elsewhere.  Once again thanks to those who have taken time out to contribute to this thread.  Much appreciated. Neil

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »
It looks like there are at least a couple of factories producing all sorts of reproduction bohemian glass around Novy Bor.

The company Bohemia-glassworks has an online catalog that, in addition to enamelled ware, includes high end engraved Biedermeier type glass including uranium glass: http://www.bohemian-glassworks.com/index.html They say they collaborate closely with the Museum of glass in Novy Bor.

There is also Glassicenter s.r.o. at Kamenicky Senov. Here is an account of a visit to that factory that is reasonably interesting: https://steemit.com/art/@marty-arts/travel-to-the-city-of-glass-novy-bor-in-czech-republic-my-glass-work

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand