No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener 5" Comport Rd.322393  (Read 711 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Henry Greener 5" Comport Rd.322393
« on: May 29, 2022, 06:04:32 PM »
There is an example of this pattern and colour on Glass Queries Gallery but I don't think it was realised it is uranium glass. It has The Greener mark and the lozenge for 8/6/1878, RD. 322393.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Henry Greener 5" Comport Rd.322393
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 07:56:26 AM »
Looks like a manganese glow. Try photographing it next to a known uranium glass item to see any contrast.

John

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »
Thanks John, to me the intensity and consistency of the glow is too much for manganese. I think with glass of this sort of colour it contains another colourant which somehow masks or alters the glow. It definitely registers on my Geiger counter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 07:04:07 AM »
If you look at the rest of the pictures for this basket in the gallery from my mother’s collection you will see it’s Amber but had a great uv glow so I believe Greener and others put uranium in many colour mixes.
Cheers Mike

https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-24900

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 08:23:48 AM »
Thanks Mike, I'm don't know the chemistry behind it but I remember reading somewhere that American companies put uranium in their glass as a colour enhancer. I have several pieces in colours you wouldn't normally associate with uranium glass but which do contain it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 08:31:53 AM »
This Greener teal is uranium. This has a knock your socks off glow http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=2210

And then there is this amethyst that glows in daylight http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=2798

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 08:34:29 AM »
Yes if it has a kind of shiny sheen it’s worth testing, some early Amber cut glass especially glows well, most Amber pressed glass doesn’t glow. Items of the subject were made in a large variety of colours including purple and other malachite, opaque black and white even amethyst. I think this registration also includes the cow lidded butter dish which I’ve seen in green malachite purple and white.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand