No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Walsh Arts and Crafts Biscuit Barrel in chipped crystal  (Read 758 times)

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Hi all
Came across this rather unusal piece which has a Rd Mark 42716. Looking at the registered marks for British glass it is listed for John Walsh 20thJan 1886. Is this corrcet and have found no other example that i could compare with.
It ceratily is crysatl and not sure whta this glass "chipped" look is called.
The metal mount is hand beaten which fits so well with the glass. There is an *angel* mark stamped into the metal rim.

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Re: John Walsh Arts and Crafts Biscuit Barrel in chipped crystal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:32:17 AM »
Additional pictures...marked to base.
Thanks for looking

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:37:47 AM »
It looks like a battuto cut that has then been polished - assuming that the pattern is not moulded. Lovely item.

John

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
Hi John
Thanks for looking
Here is an additional pic of the base. Polished pontil.
Would love to know if someone has ever seen such a piece.
The term that you state is what i was searching for....so am delighted to hear from you.
Thanks  Norman

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »
Hi Norman,
This shape of a square jar with indented circle and Reg des 42716 appears in the Eric Reynolds book, The Glass of John Walsh Walsh 1850-1951. pp11,12.
Ian

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 06:38:59 PM »
Hi Ian
Wow thanks a million for the info. I do not have the book as here in Switzerland we find so little English glass, with the exception of Michael Harris & Mdina but the 100s.
Also there is a small piece in same form & cut that looks like a candle holder of sorts. 5 x 5 x 4.5cm high...no metal rim.

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 06:57:25 PM »
The book also shows a large bowl (photo) for that same reg number with an overlaid 'fan' effect pattern and possibly a similar planished effect as in your piece. I think the design refers more to the shape. How it was patterned could vary and how it was finished - presumably it could be a jar or have a handle attached as your biscuit barrel or whatever.
Ian

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 07:00:31 PM »
Ian
Many many thanks for the info. Truly appreciated.
I bought it as it has the reg. mark and that told me English. Rather like it as there must have been a lot of work cutting out then polishing this pattern.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand