No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cambridge Etch 275 Sandwich Tray  (Read 2095 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Cambridge Etch 275 Sandwich Tray
« on: June 01, 2022, 07:25:11 PM »
This is the oval version approx. 12" x 10". Dates probably from the 1930's but possibly very late 20's.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Cambridge Etch 275 Sandwich Tray
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
Hi, is it acid etched? The textured background looks similar to that on flying free’s bowl (not saying they are linked other than possibly the method of etching) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,71075.0.html

A closer photo of the etching would be interesting for comparison if possible, thanks.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 09:13:59 AM »
The etching is plate acid etching, pattern E725: https://albums.mvsg.org/thumbnails.php?album=search&search=pe725

Good description of the plate etching process from a Cambridge Glass Company brochure: http://cambridgeglass.org/articles/etchingarticle.php The ‘special type of transfer paper’ was imported from England.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »
Thanks for that Ekimp, I was just going to research how it was done, it's a pretty complex process. I've found this pattern was known as "Florentine" dated only as "depression era".

https://www.depressionelegantglass.com/cambridge-glass-photo-pattern-identification-guide/

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
Hope I didn’t spoil your fun  :) I wonder what happened to all the radioactive sludge in the acid tank!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 10:18:38 AM »
I meant to add this photo of the etching. As to the disposing of radioactive material I was discussing with someone recently how many broken pieces of uranium glass must have gone into landfill over the years and the tiny pieces which were never swept up and remain in people's houses to this day.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 10:40:34 AM »
I'm told it's a  No.173 Centre Handle Server and is shown in the 1930 catalogue. Thanks to TallCakes on the Collector's Weekly site.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
Thanks for the closeup, doesn’t look quite like I expected. The etched lines look quite wide and shallow, but the design of the half moon infill pattern does look similar to the St Louis version. Maybe St Louis was the inspiration for that aspect.

Yes there’s probably a lot of old uranium about in people’s houses (I wouldn’t be surprised if your house showed up on some sort of government detector ;D )...although I would be more concerned by asbestos!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand