No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Japanese Vase?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline tmmorg

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Cumbria, United Kingdom
Re: Japanese Vase?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 07:43:36 AM »
Thank you, Sue. I am certainly happy with it and very grateful for all your help and knowledge,
Tom

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »
Just been looking at the globe vases I have here, the three Japanese globes do have a rim that is turned over a bit more than this one but they are definitely not what gets called a button rim. A couple of other globe vase do have button rims and looking at them I suspect they are earlier in date (for several reasons) - one is the pale yellow one you gave me some years ago Sue. Extrapolating from there it seems that these large well formed Japanese globes could be a bit later in date, say 1971 or 2.

The rim on this vase is also very similar in shape to the rims on the large textured bottles I have here - interesting if in a somewhat nerdy way!

I have seen another flattened globe on my travels Sue, forget where it was now but pretty sure that it had a similar colour to the one I have, not seen anything remotely similar in other colours or a smaller example either.

Offline tmmorg

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Cumbria, United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
Thank you for the additional info, John. Much appreciated. Interesting to hear the button rim was not as ubiquitous on these pieces as I thought. A later date fits too, as Sue said, it is very neatly finished. Presumably after 72 they would have had a wider, flattened rim?
The neck also reminded me of the textured bottle vases ( I guess we're all glass needs on here) just slightly tapered out, whereas the textured glass seem to be slightly tapered in.
I had a beautiful large amethyst bottle, but I sold it. My wife was not a fan.
Thankfully she likes the Japanese vase.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 07:56:22 AM »
Not sure how long they were made for after Harris left but I suspect it was only for a year or three - don't see that many around but occasionally they are dated. Rims got taller and wider generally but it is not a hard and fast rule.

Just spotted this, a Japanese Globe vase that has been partially 'flattened', never say never...!
https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/early_trial_mdina_japanese_vase_michael_harris/as162a766

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2022, 10:02:09 AM »
The neat necks with flat flanges where a technique the Boffos introduced, not something Michael Harris sussed on his own. They can be used to assist with dating.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand