No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Matthew Turnbull Celery Vase  (Read 862 times)

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Matthew Turnbull Celery Vase
« on: July 12, 2022, 09:33:11 AM »
I would say this is a variant on the vase registered 4/10/1893 No. 219638. It has the same base, lenses and zigzag design but only six vertical rows of larger pyramids, not eighteen.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Matthew Turnbull Celery Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 03:50:31 AM »
Hi Nev, this is an unresolved question from way back on the board. I have the celery and the matching footed bowl and consensus is they are not Turnbull but were made by someone else (no idea who as yet). There's a longer discussion about these with a pic of mine here (and in the following posts in the same topic) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5601.msg143197.html#msg143197
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »
Thanks Anne, as mentioned by agincourt 17, mine has the convex bullseyes rather than the thumbprints. As you said there are others like this given the Turnbull attribution but with nothing to confirm they have the Rd. No. Although it's not marked I can't see a reason for mine not being by Turnbull or at least English. My feeling is from its appearance it might be around 1870 rather than 1893 and so might not have been marked then. Anyway further research needed.

Offline Mbullock

• Members
  • 😊 nuts about glass!
    • Swedish, UK, Japanese & animal
    • United Kingdom, Stoke on Trent
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 11:51:28 PM »
Hi both,

Don't want to jump in and stick my nose in, as I am not used to forum etiquette yet but I have a variation of this celery vase too.

Anne, I can pop some photos of it on the same email, when I send you the Pirelli vase photos if you would like to see it?

My thoughts was it was not Turnbull and from appearance I suspect that you may be right, that it is more likely to be mid century rather than the end of the century.

I have not looked at in a while some cant remember if it has a registration number but if it does will include that too.

Meachelle
Being kind to each other, does not take much😁
I collect a wide variety but proud of my animal collections, my WF full colour set of nailhead vases, my near complete collections of Darlek vases,& Mat Johansson 3D paperweights. Gobel frosted, Pukeberg, Liskeard, Lindshammer, Hadeline, Nybro, Dansk (metal and glass) Pirelli and other end of days animal and OMG so much more. Too many collections than I have space!!

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 09:56:51 AM »
Stick your nose in anytime Meachelle  ;D, especially when it's a conundrum like this.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »
Meachelle, yes of course, please do. :)

Offline Mbullock

• Members
  • 😊 nuts about glass!
    • Swedish, UK, Japanese & animal
    • United Kingdom, Stoke on Trent
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 08:24:06 PM »
On looking at my vase and reading the earlier forum I can see that my vase is exactly the same, with the same number of scallops, circles  etc. I have sent pics to Anne who I am sure will post them when she is able. I was going to get better photos done today, as I am a tech idiot and my daughter is much better than me. She was coming round when she got called into work, as two people took a sick day today.

But overall I think the photos Anne has will show enough to answer the question or lack of answer....

In my opinion, it looks like most of the found items (celery vases and other things that might be considered parts of a possible set??) are here in the UK, making me feel they were produced and perhaps exported by a British firm in the middle of the centaury. 

just a few of my thoughts... I am definitely going to look at UK makers and see if i can find anything

Meachelle
Being kind to each other, does not take much😁
I collect a wide variety but proud of my animal collections, my WF full colour set of nailhead vases, my near complete collections of Darlek vases,& Mat Johansson 3D paperweights. Gobel frosted, Pukeberg, Liskeard, Lindshammer, Hadeline, Nybro, Dansk (metal and glass) Pirelli and other end of days animal and OMG so much more. Too many collections than I have space!!

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 06:53:20 AM »
Pics added for you Meachelle. Your vase looks identical to mine. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand