No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gunnel Nyman book, "Gunnel Nyman: Beauty Captured in Glass"  (Read 1757 times)

Offline gfirob

• Members
10 years ago I posted this message and over the years various people have googled it up looking for a way to find this extraordinary book, so I am reposting it now in 2022.  Eventually I was able to purchase a physical copy of the original book.
----
From 2012:
After more than a year looking for the Finnish Glass Museum’s catalog from their 2009 Gunnel Nyman exhibition, I was finally able to borrow one from a university and make a digital copy for myself for reference.

As close as I ever got to a copy of my own was on French ebay a year or so ago, where it sold for over $160 (sadly, not to me).  I have found it impossible to buy anywhere.  I genuinely envy those who were able to purchase it while it was still available.  I am a great fan of her glass.

The book is called “Gunnel Nyman: Beauty Captured in Glass”.  It is 162 pages long with extensive photographs, many in color, and is in English, Finnish and Swedish.  It includes a 40 page catalog of most of Nyman’s glass pieces, with descriptions, dimensions and method of production.

It also includes her (to me) quite moving essay on the subject of glass, which she wrote in 1948, the year she died at the age of 39.

There is also information on her furniture design, her lighting design and other biographical information.  It is by far the best single source of information regarding this extraordinary artist, Gunnel Nyman and her work.  The scholars who wrote it and the staff and photographers of the Finnish Glass Museum all did a magnificent job.

This book’s copyright is held by the museum of course, but if you send me an email at rob@gardnerfilms.com, I will send you the link for downloading a pdf file of the book.  It is a 150mb file.  Please use “Nyman book” as the email subject line.

This is for glass research only, not for sale.  I am making it available at no cost in order to celebrate this extraordinary artist.  As far as I can tell, the museum has no intention of printing any more of them.  I have collected as many of her pieces as I could afford as their prices continued to increase, and each is a treasure.  Keep looking for them.

Thanks

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand