No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian/Regency revival glasses... ID = St Louis Crystal, France  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Steve in Cumbria

• Members
  • Old dog, trying to learn new tricks
    • 18th/19th C drinking glasses
    • UK
Hi all.

I picked up this pair of glasses at the weekend, and I believe them to be Georgian/Regency revival, c1900-1910. However, my knowledge in this area is a bit sketchy, and I'd really appreciate confirmation, or any comments you may have. In particular, any idea of where they may have been made, or by whom?

Approx 5½" high x 3¼" across the rim, and 3⅛" across the foot. Weights are 270g and 274g. Good quality metal with no appreciable colour tinge, and just a couple of tiny bubbles, but nothing of any significance. Nice ping when tapped.

I've seen other glasses, of a similar ilk, but never ones quite so extensively cut; those facet cut knopped stems are beautiful. I hope the photos are clear enough, but if more are wanted, just ask - happy to oblige  :)

TIA, Steve

Offline Steve in Cumbria

• Members
    • UK
Re: Georgian/Regency revival glasses... who, where, thoughts please?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »
Update.

Since posting, I've continued researching. In addition to my earlier thoughts, I felt these had an Irish feel to them, so have been concentrating on the obvious, i.e, Waterford, and to a lesser extent, Tyrone. Not a current pattern, but I've just stumbled across this, which I am now sure is them:

https://www.regentantiques.com/itemDetails/A1055-Antique-Waterford-crystal-cut-glass-51-piece-Service-C1900

Offline Steve in Cumbria

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 03:47:19 PM »
Just been reading up on Waterford's history, and realised that the date has to be wrong, as Waterford weren't producing glass at that time   >:(

The research goes on. Anyone got any ideas?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 05:22:10 PM »
Just because the seller got the dates wrong does not mean they are not Waterford, the seller also states that some are signed so assuming no porky pies you are on the right track. The pattern is very similar to Waterford's Castleton but without some of the horizontal bands.

I have some Waterford tumblers and they are not signed on the base as per usual but on one of the cut facets low down on the body of the glass, even though I know each is marked it can still be very hard to find them.

John

Offline Steve in Cumbria

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi John.

No, I'm not doubting that they are Waterford, though having been all over them with a good magnifying glass, I'm 99% sure they're not marked.

It's the date that's puzzling me; if 1900 cannot be right, and assuming I'm reading the history correctly, it's either pre 1851, or post 1947. I feel it should be easy enough to exclude one or the other, yet I'm struggling.

Offline Steve in Cumbria

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
OK, reset time.

I popped one of my pics into Google Lens, and it came up with this:

https://lens.google.com/search?p=AV3Y9tDXdU9McX-eVWGEPok8_LccmXpnZc2VRwfqM9nz6kcjg6l_UKkm7jxBPDNyz6af5jxHAmBrMB6as0Er9KEn3SqEPR6bI9m6XLR6Nvyc-7gDxiBVh2cPEx2G8ocL_16kq76Ws5KClaUOSiiDb_vXBABr1erciC0y4gcp0tZP-mtGu8E5mMCNpXxMZTNo0zaxTuokKpnQlU8NjvVEhXfZ7In2b4kuaWYqOLYic4ROoiYEYQGn-d4HeH_OIc5b7XTqTvRmDVX6xTyN1AX9Li1MxrfP4raHqmVqNqkcbi4HX3QZXjFpN4LEjdpwz4Y5x8GscW0qZw7smTLGs62G0JFVRym6XGaFIE5hzM4_-lo%3D&ep=gisbubb&hl=en-GB&pli=1#lns=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsIkVrY0tKRGd6T1dJNVpXRmxMVFpsWldVdE5HUTNaQzFoWlRVekxUVXhNak0zWm1FMU1qWTBNQklmYXpWWVlreHZiRUV4VjFWbFVVUjFWV2RKVkUxaWJEZFJkMVI0V0V4NFp3PT0iXQ==

So... looks like the auction house where I got the original Waterford "confirmation" was in error.

My money's now on these being St Louis, Trianon pattern, basically as there are so many source references, including the St Louis website itself, it's hard to disagree:

https://www.saint-louis.com/en/collections/trianon.html

Interesting that Google Lens picked the pattern up so efficiently; never used it before for glass IDs, but I think I will in future :-)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »
Lens does have it's uses, it won't solve every id however, not yet at any rate. It looks like you have a proper match there with St Louis. Going back to the original sellers photograph of their service, the third glass from the left does not appear to match the rest with what looks like a more rounded knop and an extra horizontal cut band. Perhaps they were the marked Waterford items...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Georgian/Regency revival glasses... ID = St Louis Crystal, France
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 10:52:52 PM »
If there is a huge disparity in price though  I'd cry if I'd sold a whole stack of Saint-Louis Cristal glasses as Waterford by accident. 

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand