No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique glass with an engraved XX cut into the rim of the bowl. 1800s date  (Read 1623 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Antique glass with an engraved XX cut into the rim of the bowl. 1800s date
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »
 ;D It's a pumpkin.
I'm a bit confused by your cm measurment figures. 5" is about 13cm, not 23cm.
(I know 20cm is about 8" off by heart. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »
:)  Thanks for correcting the size - I've changed it on my post above now  :-*

Pumpkin ! yes it is. And I think the green and white one is a Gem Squash :)

There were various fruit and vegetable form bowls produced mid 19th as they were very popular then.  I think given the shape, XX marks, the beautiful way it's been finished, the stone in the glass, and the Eisglas decor which was also popular 1850s/60s, it dates to around that period.
It's also in perfect, as new condition remarkably.  Never been used. No wear on it at all. 

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
1) Right here we go with a plainer version of an eisglas dekor box on our board, with engraved roman numerals XXXXVIII  !!  Knew I'd seen something on the board at some point  but that was in 2009!!  The OP discusses it being 1948 because of those numbers.  I think it's also 1800s and the numbers are just there to match base to lid as with mine.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25682.msg142067.html#msg142067

2) Just going back to my last post re dates, the sugar box in the Technisches Museum Wien inv. no TH 12106, 12107  was '1840 acquired from Josef Lobmeyr, Vienna' (source, Farbenglas I, Neuwirth) so the fruit/vegetable form sugar boxes date a bit earlier than my comment above.  That one sits on a matching leaf shaped plate.

3) I suspect mine could have had an underplate with it as with the green and white one.  And because it has the stalk and is supposed to represent a vegetable I think it could have been a plate with a scalloped edge to represent a leaf form/greenery if you see what I mean, rather than a plain rounded rim plate.

4) It's made me think on my other Eisglas pieces.  I have a leaf shaped bowl/plate that has a significantly indented oval middle.  I've always wondered about these leaf shaped plates and what they were for/why the shape. 
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35577.msg193030.html#msg193030
Today it's dawned on me that it they were probably for boxes or salts to sit on.  Mine is probably for one of a pair of salts in oval base/foot form or something similar.  The indented base is not big enough for a bowl/box base but it would be perfect for something with an oval shaped foot.

My eisglas salts have a round domed hollow foot unfortunately but I'm sure something like those would have come with an oval foot shape as well.
I'll post a pic later to demonstrate my thinking :)  (edited - see pic attached)

5) Here's a link to an Eisglas Muschelschale dish - Neuwelt c.1860 for date reference:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/18081483_muschelschale-aus-eisglas

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 07:11:44 PM »
 ;D It's too late for me to correct my misspelling of measurement.
Your pumpkin needs a plate, doesn't it. Your thinking and reasoning seem to me to be accurate and well-considered, and as usual you have backed everything up properly. You even managed to get the very last pic posted just as I had finished checking everything else.  8) ;D 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 07:19:00 PM »
I think it does Sue :)  I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Regarding the date of these fruit form lidded boxes, there is a cut glass upright form of one with stalk and on a round plate, with a 'leaf' shaped cut rim around the plate, in the book Das Bohmische Glas Band II seite 102 , II.130 . Neuwelt, dated c.1830.  So they were popular for a long period.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 07:55:49 PM »
a butter box very similar to this one is shown in  'From Neuwelt to the Whole World, Mergl.J' page 175 prduction number 140/II, 140/III as an illustrated design:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/18081485_bowlengefa-becher-und-fubecher

The Eisglas jug and goblet both with snake shown in plate 206 on the same page are dated to c.1865.  The book says it was very popular right throughout the 1860s.
The book says that in the 3month period April to June 1865 alone, Franz Steigerwald paid Neuwelt Glassworks for over 50 sets of jugs and goblets.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 08:14:47 AM »
It's lovely M

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »
A pumpkin or a curling stone ;D

I wonder if these boxes started off being quite realistic looking copies of fruit or vegetables and then as things progressed they developed to become more stylised and less organic looking.

There are a few over time in the cmog catalogues. Two in each catalogue all with under plates:

Theresienthaler Crystall-Glas-Fabrik, c.1840 (page 34).
https://www.cmog.org/library/crystall-glas-fabrik-theresienthal?search=library_collection%3A682c8b0119796cda9d8bb660c542347c&page=132

Unknown bohemian factory 1865?-1905? (page 51). Looks like it might depict an overshot finish.
https://www.cmog.org/library/design-books-unidentified-bohemian-factory?search=library_collection%3A682c8b0119796cda9d8bb660c542347c&page=148

Vallérysthal & Portieux, 1873.  Page 81. Similar looking handle to yours that looks slightly less organic but bodies that don’t look much like fruit anymore.
https://www.cmog.org/library/collection-de-dessins-repre-sentant-les-demi-cristaux-unis-taille-s-grave-s-et-moule-s?search=library_collection%3A682c8b0119796cda9d8bb660c542347c&page=247
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 05:54:45 PM »
 ;) The cut stalk is too small and too short to be the handle on a curling stone.
And curling stones don't have lids.
I think we can discount this very interesting notion. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »
…the brooms would be useful ;D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh