No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Machine etched comport stamped with pattern number 16  (Read 667 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Machine etched comport stamped with pattern number 16
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »
I picked up this machine etched comport recently, Height 6in, Width 7in
Density 2.89g/cc which is decent lead content and rules out the northeast of England for what I think is a late Victorian piece.

I suspect it is not from the northwest either as the glass is very thin.

The chief oddity about this one is that there is a pattern number 16 stamped on the top plate belly button.
As you can see it's in a little circle of its own. This is not proud to the surface, you can't feel either the number or the ring around it.
Not sure how that would have been added.
I'm guessing with these features it might be closer to 1900 than 1880.

Has anyone ever seen a machine etched set with a number, or an idea how it was applied?

Are any manufacturers known to number their pieces like this?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Machine etched comport stamped with pattern number 16
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
Neil is it called needle-etching?  Just wondered if that might help your searches.

I have no idea at all to be honest, but if it were mine I'd be searching French first - Baccarat or St Louis probably.

I'm not entirely sure when needle etching first took off as a practise, but it has a French look to me.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:04:35 PM »
It's probably the machine number rather than the pattern number and something often found on French glass. Machine 16 was probably used to create the plate.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »
Many thanks - two votes for French then. It definitely has a different feel to other generic etched / engraved pieces from UK makers.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 06:22:11 PM »
St Louis apparently did needle etched, at least I think it is?? - this is their Manon. However it might be acid etched?  I don't really know. It appears in a catalogue (where I'd not realised the designs were needle etched, I'd assumed they were engraved):

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-st-louis-manon-claret-wine/p/77942571

https://www.gslr-antiques.com/en/boutique/services/sl-manon-coupe.php

These are the design Sapho:

https://antikes-glas.de/en/cristallerie-saint-louis/champagne-flutes-made-colorless-glass-with-etched-decoration-louis-p-3904.html

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:43:19 PM »
I vote English - possibly decorated by Northwood for Stevens and Williams. I have something very similar decorated by Northwood that I’ve been meaning to post, it’s a bit buried at the moment. The centre frosting will be mechanically ground I believe, even though the design is acid etched (after needle etching the design through the resist). I think the ‘16’ is just a random mark from manufacture.

Have you made an allowance for the large stem bubble in your density calculations?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
No I don't think the bubble would affect it much. The main use of density in this period is to identify northeast glass, which was resolutely lower. Things become difficult towards the end of the 19th century as imports from the continent and the US started to dominate, in pressed glass at least. I don't know the density profiles for overseas glass so I couldn't say if French is ruled out or not. I have early salts thought to be French which are both high and low density.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 02:59:21 PM »
Here is my comport that looks to be a smaller version of the same range. Mine is 6 inch diameter by 5 inches tall, so an inch less in both dimensions. It has six facets on the stem and a 24 point star on the base. There is no number in the centre.

My comport has been decorated by John Northwood’s workshop. The exact same pattern can be seen on page 14 of the sketch book held by the Corning museum "Sketches of etched glass. J. J. Northwood about 1881-1884".

https://www.cmog.org/library/sketches-etched-glass-1881-1884?search=library_collection%3A24172b728ffcedd7e9b3811ff6dec0d9&page=117

The design on your comport isn’t in the sketch book but it has the same double sine wave design around the edge, not that that will be exclusive to Northwood but is interesting.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 03:00:57 PM »
The outline of the design on my comport was first acid etched, it was then cleaned and masked by hand before frosting with white acid (first photo). The frosting of the central area  (second photo) has been achieved by grinding/abrasion, even though the texture looks reasonably uniform you can clearly see the difference between the two frosting methods. (Pin shown for scale)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand