No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Robert Glass Ramure  (Read 462 times)

Offline Micky2sheds

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All glass and especially cameo
    • UK
Robert Glass Ramure
« on: September 24, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »
Hi All, I have a small engraved vase measuring 4" high and 3.75" across the top. It is engraved with 2 birds and foliage all around the vase. On the base it has two names engraved, one is Robert on one side and the other is Ramure on the other. I believe this to be Belgium in origin but cannot find anything about it apart from one other engraved vase, similar subject in an auction in Luxembourg and is dated approx 1930's and engraved by a master engraver called Ramure. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Robert Glass Ramure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 12:37:03 AM »
Welcome :)

using google translate, it seems that the word ramure when translated from French could mean 'tree top'.  I don't speak French at all so have no idea if google is correct in this, however that could be the description of the picture on your vase. 
It seems that Robert could be an engraving service that existed in Belgium or still exists.  They seem to also do glass repairs (if they still exist - difficult to be sure from searching on the net).  So therefore this might be a pattern they've engraved on an existing piece of glass produced eslewhere.

Interesting piece.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Micky2sheds

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All glass and especially cameo
    • UK
Re: Robert Glass Ramure
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 07:46:24 AM »
Thanks M, most interesting and food for thought. Mick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand