No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink opaline two part tazza with trailed rim  (Read 917 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Pink opaline two part tazza with trailed rim
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 12:22:37 PM »
Those same surface layers have been ground away on the peg to reveal the opaque white core.
I was wondering how this was made.

Did they make the dish and apply the peg, both in white (or opaque clear), then coat the whole thing in the thin layers of glass, maybe like a powder enamel? If so, does that process have a name? They wouldn’t have made the dish with peg in one piece or made an applied colour coated peg would they?

It would be difficult when mechanically frosting to abrade the valleys in the crimped rim, I should think you might see some areas they missed in those difficult places and scratches on the unfrosted rim.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »
The top is one continuous piece of glass, the peg is not applied hot or glued on afterwards. It was while trying to see a join with a loupe when I realised there isn't one.

They managed to get into those valleys to frost them but underneath each of the resulting 'spouts' where they overhang there is a tiny patch that was not reached and is still shiny, not easy to photograph.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 03:17:03 PM »
Thanks, that’s interesting. I didn’t realise they could (or would) make something like that in one piece. Assume blown not pressed? Seems like a lot of work and difficulty for something that isn’t meant to be seen. Just trying to visualise how they did it with it hanging of a pontil rod etc. I was thinking the peg was applied like a wine glass stem with the join ground away and cleaned up. Then the whole thing somehow ‘cased’ so you wouldn’t see a join.

I found it very difficult to photograph the surface of glass :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 04:37:41 PM »
Maybe hot worked would be the term as don't think it will have needed to be blown but it is hand made. The peg is integral to the whole thing working as intended, it is a snug fit and makes the two parts secure in use.

When looking at the surface with a loupe there was half an air bubble that had been exposed, the general surface is frosty and granular but the air bubble left a concave smooth and shiny depression, I can't see acid leaving it like that whether brushed on or fumed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand