No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bonbonniere - pate de verre or something else  (Read 1082 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Bonbonniere - pate de verre or something else
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 09:55:37 PM »
This article (I don't know the authenticity of the writer) mentions that the signatures on some items has disappeared over time because it was done in enamel (I presume cold painted ?)
https://leverreetlecristal.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/andre-delatte-1887-1953-et-ses-galinettes-france/

This may be true and I don't know what they were signed with however I do have a few pieces from the period 1930s with the black schwarzelot type enamel used on them and having just checked them that doesn't seem to me as though it would come off, even the signatures although I have seen signatures chipped.  So perhaps they used something else to sign ADelatte Nancy? and perhaps also the Lorrain signatures which also look a bit watery for want of a better description?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 12:09:40 AM »
I have something similar to this and having looked carefully at it, it doesn't seem to me to be the kind of thing that would rub off is what I mean.
https://www.proantic.com/en/1041884-soliflorevaseenamelledperfumebottlesignedhenriquenvil.html#

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »
This article (I don't know the authenticity of the writer) mentions that the signatures on some items has disappeared over time because it was done in enamel (I presume cold painted ?)
https://leverreetlecristal.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/andre-delatte-1887-1953-et-ses-galinettes-france/

This may be true and I don't know what they were signed with however I do have a few pieces from the period 1930s with the black schwarzelot type enamel used on them and having just checked them that doesn't seem to me as though it would come off, even the signatures although I have seen signatures chipped.  So perhaps they used something else to sign ADelatte Nancy? and perhaps also the Lorrain signatures which also look a bit watery for want of a better description?

Correction to what I wrote above - I've just checked another one of my other pieces by  Henri Quenvil and the signature is indeed rubbed off in the middle portion.  It's v good quality and fired enamel decoration on the vase and no chance of that rubbing off but the signature is, leaving the start and the end of the sig but rubbed in the  middle.
So it seems that is the case.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand