No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulegoso wine glass  (Read 548 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Pulegoso wine glass
« on: October 09, 2022, 04:39:39 PM »
I picked this up in a charity shop out of curiosity and assumed it was something cheap and nasty. It looks as though the whole thing was made in one piece from one blown bubble squished to shape. You can see the stem and bowl are made from the same bubble as the inside of the bowl looks like a cats bottom. There are no obvious joins between foot and stem either, the foot is quite thick so think it is part of the original bubble folded on itself.

It really looks quite crude….but then it has the ribs on the outside of the bowl and I was surprised that when flicked it rings nicely, so probably not recycled soda glass that I first assumed.

I’ve found Murano puleguso like these:

https://www.pamono.eu/vintage-pulegoso-glass-from-seguso-1930s

But they look much finer and better finished to me. Any idea where it’s from please? Eastern Europe? Romanian?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Pulegoso wine glass
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 08:02:39 PM »
I have a tiny amber thing which I think is of very similar construction - but not as sophisticated as this is. The foot is folded from the body, but there isn't a good seal - liquid gets into the foot.
I have never found out what it is, although I suspected it might be related to some recycled Mexican glass that was in a lot of gift shops and arcade stalls, some of which was kind of reproduction old that was around at the time I found it.
I don't think it's anything very good. For the last couple of decades, it's been sitting by my kitchen sink and I prop semi used brillo pads on it - they dry out rather than rust.
I am currently soaking it to clean it, to look for evidence of a cat's bum.  :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 09:34:41 PM »
Yes, I thought recycled glass although was unsure because it pinged, don’t think it’s anything good though. I don’t really think they are usable with that hole, its a bit disgusting, I wouldn’t fancy it and hadn’t even considered that they might’ve been used for drying Brillo pads :D Perhaps they’re designed to maintain a strong immune system.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
No cat's bum. But mine doesn't have any stem. The foot is folded directly from the bottom of the triangular shaped bowl. There is almost a little dome of the base, poking up.
It pings very nicely. Much to my surprise.
It will end up going back under the steel wool pad. It's a very practical arrangement. ;D

I found it in a charity shop about 20 years ago and got excited about the "folded foot". ::) :-[

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 02:38:54 PM »
The thrill of the hunt :D thanks for looking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand