No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fish dishes - uranium?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline RosyHoN590

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass hen on nest
    • England
Fish dishes - uranium?
« on: October 15, 2022, 06:26:44 AM »
Hi, I’m looking to buy a present for my son and looking at fishy glass.  Can anyone tell me are there any uranium fish pieces around - does the Bernsdorf fish plate glow in uv (or English Bagley square plate)? If it doesn’t, any other ideas/suggestions? Thank you

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Fish dishes - uranium?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 07:46:05 AM »
If you search Ebay for "uranium glass fish" there are quite a few of the Bagley ones. There are also ones by other makers, like Stolzle, and Murano figurines. I'm not sure about the Ankerglas ones, I think some do glow and some don't. If there's a photo under UV you are OK, but don't take the sellers word for it.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 10:19:01 AM »
Yes, as Nev has said, some do and some don't. Many of these patterns were in production for several years and were available in both uranium and non-uranium green at various times so testing or a pic under blacklight is needed if you want to be certain.

A few further suggestions for fishy patterns to look out for:

Green examples of Jobling's 12000 Fish Salad Bowl are likely to contain uranium

S.Reich's 8713 fish pattern bowl was certainly available in a light green glass which contains uranium. However, darker greens may not, and I'm not sure if this pattern was made later in non-uranium light green too.

As well as Bagley's square fish plate, you can also look out for the Alexander Hardie Williamson designed Marine bowl. Early examples of this pattern were made in Uranium green.

Presumably Walther's 'Sonnenfisch' bowl was originally available in uranium glass, but later production by VEB Sachsenglas is unlikely to contain uranium. 

Offline RosyHoN590

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass hen on nest
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 07:21:03 PM »
Thanks very much both of you -  quite exciting to have more options I’ll look at all suggestions, but I didn’t realise different batches of the same model/same maker would vary so much in content.  I guess I have to ask for glow pics of any that look likely, or take a punt on sone cheap ones ‘til I happen across a uranium.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:30:23 PM »
It's not so much different batches as different eras. Many of these pressed glass designs were made for 20-30 years and both pre- and post-war. If it contains uranium, it was pre-war. Post-war, uranium was hard to come by (some factory stocks of rare material were confiscated) and expensive. That is not to say that post-war glass doesn't contain uranium; it does. This generality is most applicable to designs that span decades before and after the war, particularly those from English and German glass factories.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand