No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Zig Zag Bowl  (Read 3134 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Zig Zag Bowl
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »
Thank-you for sorting the images.
I adore the appearance of your bowl from above! I've just tried to see the same in my cauldron without success.
But I did notice something else. When cobalt is over or under a silver colouration, it goes purple, while teal goes green.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tmmorg

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Cumbria, United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 03:34:39 PM »
You're welcome. They did need to be shown together. Yes the top down view shows the skill involved. Despite the wonky uneven zig zags, there is a great symmetry to their application. Maybe the fact that yours is cobalt makes it too hard to capture in your cauldron. More confirmation mine is indeed teal, as you rightly said.
Interesting information about the colours. Amazing how the same chemicals can react so differently and create such a range of colours.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 04:31:53 PM »
Silver has a lot of really weird and wonderful reactions with glass. I think more than any other metal.
It's the shape of the cauldron makes the zigs and zags disappear when I look into mine.
I see the bottom of it, the strapping is on the sides.
I can see the v shapes of yours nearly meet.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tmmorg

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Cumbria, United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »
Ah, I see. I didn't consider the shape. I think you should add some photos of your cauldron to this thread if you can, and don't mind. It really is my favourite example of a zig zag vase. Such a wonderful, tactile shape. But then I am also biased towards the blue pieces. Even if I can't tell one blue from another 😜

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand